Sram xx1

Brownster

Likes Dirt
Well after the long wait finally got a ride on the new XX1 on Sunday.

Massive thanks to the guys at Blackmans Bikes Penrith for getting it Friday arvo and having it fitted to the MERIDA Team 96 on Saturday.

It was definately worth the wait. Shifting is amazing and cant believe better than the XX that was on the bike. It is a work of art thats for sure.
Mine is currently fitted with the 38 chain ring front and did the OAKS return Sunday with no drama's at all. Would probably go to a 36 for some
XC racing as dont really need the top end with the 38 front. We were sitting on 52km/hr with heaps more left on the 10 tooth rear cog.

Time will tell but after my first impressions and ride I love it.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
What sort of $$ are we looking at here? What components did you need to upgrade?
- Shifter / Gripshift?
- Cranks or just chainring?
- cassette
- hub?
- derailler

I think its a great concept, but $$ wise out of my league.

Will they bring out an X0, X9 version?

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty sure Sram have made the rings a new BCD size to make sure you buy a new crank....

So you need; crank, shifter, cass, RD, new freehub to take cass, chain......

CRC has prices....

Sic

Likes Dirt
Jenson has a box set for $1200 but that doesnt include the hub adapter which is another $100 and only goes onto a DT Swiss hubs.

CRC has the parts separately, the cassette alone is $400 AUD so you're looking at around $1200-1400 if you have the right sort of wheels, more if you dont.

Brownster

Likes Dirt
From the FLOW Mag testing

The not-so-minor details
Product
SRAM XX1 groupset

Contact
Monza Imports
http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/family/xx1
Price: TBA
Price: $1650 standard BB, $1700 BB30
Positives
Game changing performance. Highly desirable and impressively engineered. The lack of chainguide, or front derailleur and left hand shifter is simply refreshing.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had thought this would be way OTT on price but these prices are realistic IMO, especially when building a new bike as oposed to upgrading...

Maybe time to upgrade from 9 speed.....

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Had thought this would be way OTT on price but these prices are realistic IMO, especially when building a new bike as oposed to upgrading...

Maybe time to upgrade from 9 speed.....
The price would be realistic, but only if you run a race only bike IMO - Hopefully, the chainring will last, but i change chains every 2 months, and cassettes at 5 or so - if that also takes out the chainrings, i'm up for about $800 every 6 months to keep it going!

I like the idea, but the consumables need to have a low end version to make it a little more realistic. Its like bikes that come with xx and xo cassettes - thats fine on the new bike, but by the third cassette, most of those highly specced bikes are now running after market front rings, $60 cassettes, and kmc chains ;D - and the owner has had to sell their AMG and get a 200c

LabRat

Likes Dirt
I've read lots of reviews and they all sound great! Lets hope the cost comes down a wee bit because I WANT!!!!

Currently running SRAM 2 x 10 but would love to give the XX1 setup a go!! :hungry:

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Question from an uneducated douche' here, if i was to run the SRAM XX1 crank and chain ring would I need to change other components in the drive-train? I've seen there is a unique chain for the XX1 and was curious whether if it was a) needed and b) compatible with non XX1 components? Such as rear cassette and derailleur.

Thanks!

Ben

Mike95

Likes Dirt
Question from an uneducated douche' here, if i was to run the SRAM XX1 crank and chain ring would I need to change other components in the drive-train? I've seen there is a unique chain for the XX1 and was curious whether if it was a) needed and b) compatible with non XX1 components? Such as rear cassette and derailleur.

Thanks!

Ben
I have read on mtbr that you can run the xx1 crank / chainring with existing 10 speed drivetrain. It would be advisable to be running a type 2 deraileur.

"Hopefully I can help demystify the hacking of the XX1 group. The XX1 crank and chain will work as a single-speed or one-by-10 setup. If someone is currently running 9/10 on their bike, the 11-spd chain and crank will work with their cassette and derailleur. This is the ONLY part of the XX1 group that is hackable. The XX1 rear derailleur cannot be used in some fantastical creation of 1-by-whatever that someone thinks it should work with. It won’t work. You can definitely run the a Shimano or a SRAM derailleur with the chain and crank and you shouldn’t have a problem.

With that being said, if someone is using the XX1 crank and chain in a 1-by-9 or 1-by-10 they should consider using a clutch rear derailleur, if they aren’t already. This will give them a more secure setup that the XX1 aims to achieve as a group, without needing a chainguide.

The thing to keep in mind with using the XX1 crankset is that it has to be used with the 11-spd chain. There was talk of using a regular 10-spd chain working, but it is best to stick with the 11-spd for 1-by-whatever or single speed.""

If the crankset works only with the 11 sp. chain, it's not really so cool, cause the 11sp. chain price is totally insane.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
You can run XX1 cranks with a 10sp rear end although its not recommended as compatible.
Not recommended but I know quite a few pros were running XX1 cranks with XX or XO Type 2 drive trains at the Olympics before the XX1 (Or more accurately, XX1 drivers) was widely available.

It's also worth noting that XX1 cranks are just rebadged XO cranks soif you are already running those all you'd need is a new spider and chainring (maybe even with X9?). There is also a XX1 spider available for Cannondale Si cranks and I can only assume a spider to suit S-works cranks will be just around the corner if not here already.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Excellent help, the lot of you!!

Cheers,
Ben

EDIT: Can you buy the spiders separately?

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
EDIT: Can you buy the spiders separately?
The current spiders are available separately so I assume that the XX1 spider will be available at some point if not already and aftermarket spiders for other cranks are already available.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,

I'm running XX1 on my Anthem.
Also a fulltime bike mechanic so I'm happy to answer any techy questions you might have?

Josh