SS cog

lotec

Banned
i strongly agree :D oh no wait its a tiny bit different see?
riderigid said:
i was wondering, what size cog do people run on the rear for dirt jumping?
riderigid said:
i was wondering, what size cog do people run on the rear for dirt jumping? i have a 32 tooth front chainring
:lol:

riderigid

Likes Dirt
sorry, i didnt mean to post(thread?)whore. delete the other one. my computer froze and i didnt mean to double click

Dane

Likes Dirt
riderigid said:
now is anyone going to answer my question?

nope :)

i think you'd find most people run gears on the back. but if you wan't to go ss, i think with a 32t up front you'd probably go for about a 16t. although it does come down to personal preference.

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be running an 18T rear with a 32T front for DJ. This works well at my local jump spot but it might not be that great at yours.

riderigid

Likes Dirt
thanks, i think i will go with 18T cos to get to my jumps i have to go up a little bit as well but the spot is flat. cheers :)

ryd_mtb

Likes Bikes
Just through anything on that you can find to start with and go from there.
A 32 on the front sounds pretty good and just experiment on the rear untill you find something you like.

riderigid

Likes Dirt
well the adaptor i bought was meant to come with a 15t cog but the nice DhDirect guy put in an 18t one instead so i will start there

digger

Likes Dirt
if you're after a fair dink ss ie: not a cassette with 1 cog on it. get as big as you can (the biggest i could find is an 18T) then adjust the gearing with the chainrings, that way you only need a chain tool & some allenkeys & you don't have to frig around with a sprocket remover, much simpler, and that's half the beauty of SS. at the end of the day, you'll probably only be in the right gear half of the time with a ss anyway do don't worry about it too much, just pedal slower or faster. As a side issue, I have found that i'm better off in a lower gear than what i started out DJ'ing in.

carbonboy

Likes Dirt
i run 42/18 on my jump bike,
it is good for all around town (adelaide not too hilly)
and gets up to good speed for jumps/skateparks
i reckon 32/16 would be too pedaly for jumps but it is a good xc ss gear.
have a few different cogs ( they are cheap as) and find something you like.
everyone likes different stuff.
hope this helps