SS commuting in a hilly area?

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
I've been looking for a commuter bike for a little while and my brother in law has kindly offered his single speed for me to borrow. I live in Ballarat and my commute will be quite hilly. I'm not sure when i'll have time to pick up the bike from him (he's in box hill), but just wondering if anyone here commutes on a single speed in undulating areas and any tips for doing so? Cheers.

sedifus

Likes Dirt
I've been looking for a commuter bike for a little while and my brother in law has kindly offered his single speed for me to borrow. I live in Ballarat and my commute will be quite hilly. I'm not sure when i'll have time to pick up the bike from him (he's in box hill), but just wondering if anyone here commutes on a single speed in undulating areas and any tips for doing so? Cheers.
I've done it a bit and found you just have to stuck it up. Not much else just keep your speed into a hill and keep the cadence as high as possible while going up

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Choose a rear sprocket (ed: viz ratio) you're not going to whine about every time you get on the bike and then just get on with it...

ss commute

since riding my ss to work i actually go out of my way to find the hillier route! certainly makes you stronger mentally and physically!! love the ss more than the geared bike (34x18) cheer and beers

Last edited:

s14

Squid
I've done it a bit and found you just have to stuck it up. Not much else just keep your speed into a hill and keep the cadence as high as possible while going up
Pretty much what sedifus said.

Im running 32/16 on a 26er and the hills generally dont bother me as long as i keep the speed up rolling into the hill.

ADD

Likes Dirt
My old commuter was a 'fixed-gear' with 48/14 ring and sprocket because I liked going as fast as possible on the flat and down the other side of the hills. Just had to suck it up when it came to hills and it made me a mentally stronger, physically fitter cyclist. Since I sold it 12 months ago I find I miss the challenge of urban hooning on a bike...And I'm not as strong in the legs.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My current commuter is a 48/17 fixed gear in a fairly hilly area. It sucks at first, but it's kind of a fast track to fitness.

elum

Squid
Your knees and lungs will either love it or hate it.

From my experience on both 700cc (48 x 18) and 26" (32 x 17) get me places with 15kg extra load on the pannier, yes as past post threads has mentioned, getting the right gear ratio to suit you is important.
check out this vimeo "Seabase-Galibier": http://vimeo.com/59996430
hes on a fixie (crazy) riding Col du Galibier, France (on a fixie = nut case)

anyway, with the right gear ratio you'll be loving it.