SS to 1x9 question

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
I currently have an 09 Haro Mary SS 29er. I'll be picking up a Redline Monocog soon and will eventually want to run one of them as an SS and the other as a 1x9.

Can I run either of these as a 1x9?
Which one would be easier to convert (I won't be doing this, that's what my LBS is for)?
Or should I be looking at a third option of bike?

Thanks in advance
Kris

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Kris,

Nope, you don't need another sort of bike!

Both bikes (if you're using stock wheels) will need a new rear hub, as neither can accommodate a cassette. You can go nuts with options here - I'll throw Shimano SLX hubs out as a starter.

Both bikes will require a new rear derailleur hanger / dropout. This will be much easier to do with the Haro Mary than the Redline in all likelihood.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
The two biggest problems you will have follow:
1. You will loose some hotness riding gears,
2. You will need to change your user name to Kris_on_1_and sometimes_9

:p

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
The two biggest problems you will have follow:
1. You will loose some hotness riding gears,
2. You will need to change your user name to Kris_on_1_and sometimes_9

:p
I have it all under control
1. I have new socks that are pretty awesome, hopefully they will give me the 'hotness' factor (as if I could lose that!)
2. Kris_on_1 could simply mean that I'm on a(nother) rant or that pedestal you normally occupy.
3. Plus I'm thinking I'll just ride the 1x9 in the dark when no one can see me.

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Won't stop people from hearing you change gears...
I'll just have to flirt loudly as I change gear, won't be the first time....

Have you been looking in my drawers again? :eek:

I picked up these https://www.sockdreams.com/products/socks/over-the-knee/neon-night-sky-over-your-knees [1] from a site that markets themselves as "Unique comfy sexy socks for unique sexy people" - that sums me up perfectly!

[1] technology defeats me and I can't do attachments.

Drew Peacock

Likes Bikes
Mid - life crisis

Kris I recently went through a similar mid-life crisis and begun wondering what it would be like to have suspension and more than one gear, so I purchased an Ellsworth Evolve
ellsworth.JPG and threw on some spare parts I had.

My Hope rear hub was SS specific so the best I could go was 1x6, but given all I really wanted was more top end speed - this wasn't an issue.

I still ride it like an SS only changing rarely and mainly when I need to go faster rather than climbing.

I don't have a chain guide yet (still waiting for the shop) but I'm yet to drop a chain and I have bought a short cage derailluer, just so I can shorten the chain a little more.

While I'm loving the quish and the extra speed - I can't see me using the whole 9 gears and even 1x6 seems overkill.

Have fun.