SS versus geared comparitive efforts

fezi

Likes Dirt
As a geary and ss rider I'm interested in the comparative efforts each takes. Sure its perceived to be harder climbing on a ss but is it? I've logged several rides on both my ss & geared bike and have used more energy on the geared bike in general. Generally its aorund 5-7% more energy expended on the geared bike for similar averaged speeds.

I've put this down to a higher HR on the geared bike especially when seated and spinning up the climbs. To me it seems the ss puts more stress on the muscular system whilst the geary puts more stress on the cardiovascular system.

I'd be particularlly interested to hear from people who have experienced both sides of the argument with regard to enduro events as I'm about to do several of these on my ss for the 1st time.

Discuss

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
To me it seems the ss puts more stress on the muscular system whilst the geary puts more stress on the cardiovascular system.
Although I don't have much to add, the above is an interesting point from a fitness level. Those riding to 'get fit' should, by this argument, have gears, and those wanting to 'get strong' should, by this argument, run singlespeed. I've never really considered it like that, but it's definitely something i'll be considering in the future.

fezi

Likes Dirt
Although I don't have much to add, the above is an interesting point from a fitness level. Those riding to 'get fit' should, by this argument, have gears, and those wanting to 'get strong' should, by this argument, run singlespeed. I've never really considered it like that, but it's definitely something i'll be considering in the future.
To quantify the muscular versus cordiovascular side of riding either, for me I generally have a lower HR on a climb on a ss, this can vary as much as 15bpm for a similar RPE where as on a flat section I will have a almost similar HR for either bike (albeit spinning my arse off on a ss to maintain comparable speed to a geared bike)

Paging Dr Karl

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Hmmm my data is a little different... my average HR does tend to be a little lower on the SS but there is much more variance... on the longer climbs my HR just goes up... and up... and up.... and up but I don't maintain it as much on the flat or downhill sections. Lower average but higher peaks on the SS...

SS is great for intervals - makes ya work whereas on a geared bike, unless its stupid steep, you can play with gears to manage HR. On the SS ya just gotta go.

Example climb is out of Bedford creek (Anderson's firetrail blue mtns)... on the geared bike I can just change down when I get 'tired' (HR say over 90%) and spin but when I get to the flatter sections I change up so my HR wouldn't drop below 75%... On the SS... I'm out of the saddle and hoping the gods of fitness and traction are with me to the crest of the climb where I might hit HR Max. But, on the flatter sections I'm cruising trying to get my HR as low as I can before the next effort.

Bundy boy

Likes Dirt
I ride both geared and ss and ss always feels better/ less draining. But it could also be a mental thing like with ss no gear changes to worry about, its just about keeping that momentum going. Orrrrr it could be ss is just so much better, your subconsciousness is making you think geared is harder:D.

SSDave

Likes Dirt
Gears just seem to much extra effort, all that counting!! Is it up or down!! And the noise!! SS seems much easier on the mind and more fun. Physically is it easier? No idea. But metally it's much easier.

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense.

Schtinka

Banned
With not too much experience with SS bikes, how would u compare the gearing of a SS to a geary? I mean by way of comparing what ring on the front and back of a geary could it be compared to that of a SS.

SS bikes seem crazy to me. Im gobbsmacked when i see some of the hills u SS fellas take, but at the end of the day wouldnt u wanna make it easier for yourself and to be more competitive? Like i mean, werent gears invented for a reason.... Or are u guys seeking an extra challenge of taking ur body to the limits? (if yes, i understand)...Or maybe ur seeking the awe of other rides? haha(like me).

Hud

Likes Dirt
I have never used a HRM but I'm a SS and Gearie rider. There is one short steep climb that I regulary do:
I always find it's easier to climb on the SS and I'm not breathing as hard at the top. (I'm talking around max pace on both) I think it's partly to do with the fact it's a rigid HT vs 4 inch duallie. The SS is lighter and there is less drivetrain resistance.
The drivetrain resistance is only a theory of mine, but I think not driving a a chain around a derailleur makes a difference. Perhaps the lack of rotating mass of a cassette and triple ring setup makes a small difference as well.
Kind of like in a truck when the 2nd dif in a bogie drive truck takes up around 40HP compared to a single drive.
You know when you're riding with a dry chain, then you stop and re-lube, the bike seems to go better, doesn't it?

craigb

Likes Dirt
The dirty little secret that all single speeders harbour is - it's not harder.
DAMN YOU! that was never ment to be shared with anyone. All this talk will be VERY interesting as i havent raced nor riden a geared bike in about 7 years and im just about to order a new bike with gears and itll be probably 1kg less than my s/s. Will it make me faster? Im saying no, but most of the guys i ride with are itching to see how i go on it. ill keep you posted on what i find

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I think some parts of ssing are harder, like technical climbing, right when your at that point of stalling climbing over a rock or log,. I think that climbing overall is harder, it's just quicker. I hit the climb flat out, my heart rate doesn't hit max until either halfway, or near the top pending the length of the local climb, but once I'm at the top, I'm farked. There isn't a great deal of spinning at my local. it's either up or down.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im saying no, but most of the guys i ride with are itching to see how i go on it.
It has been interesting watching Mr Alchemist relearn how to ride offroad with gears (and also suspension at both ends).

Apparently all hills must be climbed out of the saddle at low RPM. Although not slowly, mind you.

craigb

Likes Dirt
dont tell me alchemist that you have gone to the dark side aswell? How have you been finding it? think im just going to go a 1*9 on the new bike

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Interesting discussion here guys. I've been SSing (rigid avanti kiss 29er) for 3 months now and have noticed a marked improvement in my strength. Climbing is now aggressive rather than sitting down and spinning as you can on a geared bike. Only thing is, when I get back on the geared bike (Giant Reign) I find it harder for everything except downhill, but its more comfortable. Climbing is way harder on the Reign, even with the rear shock on pro-pedal and the fork locked out. I definitely like the Reign for longer rides, but that could simply be because its a dually.

But, I've never felt faster or fitter than on the SS.

Timbers

Likes Dirt
I was lucky enough to have the oppurtunity to discuss this very matter with former SS world champ Adam Craig and we both agree that contrary to most peoples thoughts good SS riders will loose time to geared riders on pedaly flat and DH sections rather than on climbs.

The other thing we agreed on is the relevance of SS riding for XC training, not just the obvious strength building aspects but the necessity to carry momentum through corners/ sections especially leading up to climbs is invaluable and only genuinely appreciated when riding a SS fast with geared riders.

You can really pick riders who have never ridden single speeds as they are very bad at keeping up momentum in sections where you can fall back on gears, I really noticed this when I did my first race on a single speed.

Isnt it funny how alot of the very elite riders in the sport now have come to the conclusion that 1x9 or 1x10 is enough gears for even World cup courses.

Kabush, Craig and Absalon are all awesome at carrying speed up, down and through sections others seem to baulk at and this why they are able to get away with 1x9 or 1x10 gear systems.

With the release of Sram XX and the bike industries worst kept secret of 2x10 Shimano XTR for 2011 (this time next year) I wonder how long it is before these elite level oriented groupos are offered as 1x options for the real hard men? :D

My guess is it will still be 9 gears more than you need for some of us ;)