SS versus geared comparitive efforts

Lorday

Eats Squid
With the whole heart rate thing, when using gears, you tend to push the gearing as high as you can to achieve warp speed (if possible)... with SS you can't do it, because you spin out. On climbs there are too many varibles.

Both have there place in the cycling community... now what about fixed in comparsion...?

Mal01

Likes Dirt
I was lucky enough to have the oppurtunity to discuss this very matter with former SS world champ Adam Craig and we both agree that contrary to most peoples thoughts good SS riders will loose time to geared riders on pedaly flat and DH sections rather than on climbs.
Maybe contrary to those who don't ride SS. I wouldn't call myself an especially good SS rider but certainly the place where I most get left behind is on the flat (moreso slightly downhill fireroad) and DH (riding fully rigid though, so that doesn't help the DH). When I'm left behind going up, it's not about the bike. I find it frustrating following geared bikes up climbs like the switchbacks at Stromlo, because so many geared riders slow so much for the switchback, changing down gears. I can only guess it's because they can. Fully rigid 29er SS: momentum is my friend.

I reckon the hardest part about riding SS is fending off all the comments: you're mad, crazy, hard, stupid, awesome, why, ...:rolleyes:

Onegear

Likes Dirt
Absoloutely

I reckon the hardest part about riding SS is fending off all the comments: you're mad, crazy, hard, stupid, awesome, why, ...:rolleyes:
Yep have to agree the only hard thing about riding SS is the constant barage of questions and comments.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
From comparing my times to similar riders, it seems that I race XC approx 5% slower on my SS than my geared bike. I guess it doesn't help that the SS weighs over a kilo more, despite lacking gears and rear suspension...

Comparing a lap times from a small handful of races to friends who always ride geared is hardly an in-depth, controlled study but I know that:
  • I get tired sooner SS, not being able to sit down and spin
  • I walk up steep hills slower than I can spin geared, and
  • Relative to other riders I am faster downhill while riding geared, so I'm probably spun out SS while descending.

QZ13

Likes Dirt
FIxed gear.... take the crazy talk away!
There's not much wrong with fixed/rigid until you point it down some techy stuff and pedal strike comes in to the equation. Nothing climbs better in my opinion.

Back me up here alchemist, I'm not crazy :eek:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
There's not much wrong with fixed/rigid until you point it down some techy stuff and pedal strike comes in to the equation. Nothing climbs better in my opinion.

Pretty much, you're only a little crazier than I am. Hope I can squeeze a fixed 'cross lap in with you at the Fat Tyre Fest...

fezi

Likes Dirt

Ratification from another crazy person that you're not crazy? I'm tempted to give a fixed wheel a go but I see it ending in tears for me on anything other than tarmac. Respect to the people that can do a lap around ourimbah fixed, I'll buy that man a beer. (applies only to fat tyre festival. written and spoken by an unauthorised person)

floody

Wheel size expert
From comparing my times to similar riders, it seems that I race XC approx 5% slower on my SS than my geared bike. I guess it doesn't help that the SS weighs over a kilo more, despite lacking gears and rear suspension...

Comparing a lap times from a small handful of races to friends who always ride geared is hardly an in-depth, controlled study but I know that:
  • Relative to other riders I am faster downhill while riding geared, so I'm probably spun out SS while descending.
Spot on, SS is slower on long flat sections, slower up steep hills - and traction comes into the equation as an issue as well - slower downhill, although my observation would be for sustained climbs of less demanding inclination, and undulating terrain there may not be significant differences. Gearing range exists for a reason, that reason being that we are riding a variety of terrain in most events.

Anyone who is fast on an SS is fast, full stop, regardless of the bike. Rarely is the weight difference between high end geared bikes and SS bikes enough to outweigh the benefit of gears either.

Fixed bikes are never ever going to be fast anywhere off road. Because you can does not mean you should.

struggles

Likes Dirt
I have enough trouble remembering to keep pedaling on the road on my fixie, no way i am trying that off road

QZ13

Likes Dirt
Respect to the people that can do a lap around ourimbah fixed, I'll buy that man a beer. (applies only to fat tyre festival. written and spoken by an unauthorised person)
I'll order 22 pale ales thanks ;) (if the last two years count)

fezi

Likes Dirt
I'll order 22 pale ales thanks ;) (if the last two years count)
Only valid for this years shindig and must be clipped in for the entire lap, no walking allowed.... this could cost me a shed load of beers, who likes tooheys red?

craigb

Likes Dirt

im not saying your wrong but if your rite
* i should be able to do 200km on a geared bike as i do 100km with out a problem at the moment (15th outrite at the bmc100 this year and would have been around the same for the otway if it wasnt for 4 flats)
*Learn to run up hills you will find you will beat all but the GREAT riders up most hills if you have to get off and walk RUN
*Latsly learn to spinn, spin like crazzy.

s/s is slower but if you realy have the hang of it you can give the good riders a stir up and that makes it all the more fun. On the weekend at the Marathon champs a guy smashed past me at one point only to blow up 6 or 7km from the finish and i think s/s teaches you how to pace yourself aswell not just find a gear and smash it when the roads are open and fast

RichJS

Likes Dirt
im not saying your wrong but if your rite
* i should be able to do 200km on a geared bike as i do 100km with out a problem at the moment (15th outrite at the bmc100 this year and would have been around the same for the otway if it wasnt for 4 flats)
Hum ... You understand that I was talking specifically about me, not all singlespeeders, right? :rolleyes: I am obviously nowhere near your level of cardiovascular fitness!

*Learn to run up hills you will find you will beat all but the GREAT riders up most hills if you have to get off and walk RUN
That'd be great, but I'm already knackered by the time I have to get off. :(

*Latsly learn to spinn, spin like crazzy.
Spinning is good to be able to do, but let's face it: At 135rpm you're running massively inefficiently, and it's just not sustainable. IE, a lot of your energy is put into moving your legs rather than the pedals. (~65RPM = most efficient?) With a gearing of 2:1 on 26" wheels (let's call it 2100mm rollout), 135rpm is only 34kmh. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it.

We need more drag races. Bike racing needs more anaerobic events!

ladytoast

Likes Bikes
SS training - effecting cardio?

Without trying to hyjack this thread..

I have recently started commuting from Frenchs Forest to Newtown on a SS. Obviously a chunk of that ride is spent climbing so I know it's good for my leg strength but I'm worried that my cardio training might be lacking as I don't tend to have long periods of higher cadence.

Does anyone else train on a SS specifically? Should I be looking at alternating with a road bike (which I don't have by the way).

Cheers

Timbers

Likes Dirt
Spinning is good to be able to do, but let's face it: At 135rpm you're running massively inefficiently, and it's just not sustainable. IE, a lot of your energy is put into moving your legs rather than the pedals. (~65RPM = most efficient?) With a gearing of 2:1 on 26" wheels (let's call it 2100mm rollout), 135rpm is only 34kmh. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it.

Thats your problem right there! 2:1 is for Pussys! ;)

mad greek

Likes Dirt
Hi there

First timer when it comes to S/S, having only just built my XC rigid into one recently.

What is a decent gearing to use for optimal performance?

I believe I'm running 38/16 or thereabouts, but think I may go to 36 tooth on the front to make pedaling a little easier.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Cheers,
Theo

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Hi there

First timer when it comes to S/S, having only just built my XC rigid into one recently.

What is a decent gearing to use for optimal performance?

I believe I'm running 38/16 or thereabouts, but think I may go to 36 tooth on the front to make pedaling a little easier.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Cheers,
Theo
Theo, most folks start with a 2:1 ratio and see how they go, which equates to 32:16 or 38:19. My guess would be that unless where you're riding is very flat with pretty tame uphill sections, 38:16 will be too tall a gear ratio.