stanchions anodizing

AirDog

Likes Dirt
i just picked up a set of mx6's nice and cheap and they are so smooth and adjustable its not funny. the only thing that worries me is there is 2 small pits and on one of the stanchions the anodizing is starting to wear.. if i want to fix this do i need to buy new stanchions ? or can i get them re anodized ? i would prefere the later as i'd think it would be soooo much cheaper.

thanks in advance
hamish

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Hamish... where are you located? And do you mean the actual "slider"... the part that slides in and out of the leg? (I assume this but we had a thread not long ago with all SORTS of confusion). If it's the slider then they're precision ground and if the anodising is wearing then the diameter is actually now less which means the seals wont be sealing quite as well as they should. BUT there is a place in Thomastown, Melb that could re-do those for you I think and if you're interested I hunt out the info for you. I would, however, check on new prices AND even consider either leaving them as is (if they're not leaking and all this is for asthetics) OR sourcing some oversize seals (if they are leaking) My point is that re-doing them will not be cheap!

CHEWY

Eats Squid
to get the rear shock shaft on my CR125 re-anondized it was $175, and thats a pretty small amount of metal to be anodized

LordNikon

Uber Geek
From what I understand of anodizing the set up and preparation cost will be more a factor than the actual anodizing. So it may not be much more expensive than getting just a rear shock done.

:)

of course I could be totally wrong. :oops:

AirDog

Likes Dirt
ok there not leaking.. so its not a hurry.. i'll have a look at new prices but yeah i just thought this may be cheaper i'm not paying near 200 bux to get a leg done if there not leaking.. so maby its something to do in the future.

AirDog

Likes Dirt
ok would having them chromed be pretty much the same thing ? is that what the new dj's are just chromed ? tis pretty cheap to like only about 30$

CHEWY

Eats Squid
yea, 30 bucks to get em chromed, but then theyre gonna be nowhere near the right width and consistancy to actually seal in oil. its a high presicion job, thats why it costs so much

AirDog

Likes Dirt
yeah :( ya cant win ohh well i'll leave em for now the outers and crowns are getting painted monday so yeah