Stans Notubes kit

Pork Chop

Likes Bikes
Hey peeps,

I've installed a stans notubes kit onto an Alex Rim Super Comp (18mm). However, the bead won't set. The instruction manual says to not inflate past 40psi, but even at that pressure (plus soapy water), the bead won't set.

I've reduced the amount of rim tape used to try provide more space for the bead to set, but still unsuccessful.

I had heard that I should inflate to 60psi to set the bead... Is that advisable?

Thanks

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey peeps,

I've installed a stans notubes kit onto an Alex Rim Super Comp (18mm). However, the bead won't set. The instruction manual says to not inflate past 40psi, but even at that pressure (plus soapy water), the bead won't set.

I've reduced the amount of rim tape used to try provide more space for the bead to set, but still unsuccessful.

I had heard that I should inflate to 60psi to set the bead... Is that advisable?

Thanks
Remove the valve core, as suggested. 60PSI max to seat, but let it out straight away if it does or doesn't seat.
Al..

SummitFever

Eats Squid
If you can keep pressure in the wheel, then there's no need to remove the valve core. You only do that when you need more flow (ie. air's leaking out faster than you put it in with the valve core in the way).

Couple of things. Firstly, your gauge may not be that accurate, so 40psi may not be 40psi, going a bit higher is OK to seat the bead (wear some ear and eye protection in case it all goes wrong). Secondly, leave the tyre out in the sun so its nice a hot and supple, use plenty of soap water on the bead, inflate to 40psi and leave it for a little while. You can watch the bead and see it expanding outwards. It can take several minutes to do its thing. If its not moving at all, then up the pressure a bit more.

teK--

Eats Squid
What tyres are you using, and are you using Stans rim tape or the rubber Stans strip?

I wouldn't recommend 60psi u might blow the tyre off the rim if not careful and end up destroying the tyre bead.

I presume it holds air since u said u got it to 40psi but what do u mean by it doesn't set. You don't hear the popping sound of the bead engaging?

Fatherpaul

Likes Bikes
You could try seating the tyre with a tube first, leave it pumped up for 24hrs then try again. The tube might stretch the tyre ever so slightly to allow it to seat next time you try. This trick has helped me in the past.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey peeps,

Thanks
when you say the bead won't set does that mean its inflating and the bead leaks? or does it not even inflate? if it inflates but won't seal then assuming you mean leaking try more stans and insure the bead to tyre area is clean, assume you have new tyres - as old tyres will have a less uniform bead.

if it won't inflate at all and the tyre is pretty easy to get off/on then you need to build up the inner rim area so there's less space between the tyre/bead. that way when the air goes in there's more chance of it pushing the tyre out against the bead and creating a seal.

some tyres are too flimsy and just won't seal so your best chance is to:

1. put in a tube for 24 hours (as suggested above)
2. remove tube but don't break bead on opposite side, that way you're only fighting to seal one bead.

if you get it to seal, go out on the road and do some sharp turns to see if the bead is going to take the abuse of riding, be ready to go otbs if the bead let's go.

Last edited: