Stans rear hub on Flow EX - a bit loose?

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Wondering if anyone else has this problem... The original bearings were replaced about 500km ago due to looseness in the hub, when I grab the top of the rear wheel and the seat I can feel it clunking if I push the top of the wheel side to side... A small amount of movement, really, maybe 1-2mm at the tyre???

I replaced the bearings with Enduro bearings and the problem returned after 50km, so I took it apart again and used loctite on the axle and bearing races, this lasted another 50k's... So far I've just been riding it as is because I CBF screwing around with it again, it appears to be the non-drive side bearing with a small amount of play (or play between axle and bearing race...), but obviously a very small bit of play at the hub is a lot more at the tyre.

Is it worth trying another set of bearings? A new axle? It's definitely not the freehub itself, but one of the 2 main bearings. I suspected it was the inner one and did that one again already. No dice.

The hub seems fine otherwise but is definitely a lot more clunky in the rear over really rough stuff and getting annoying on an otherwise quiet bike...

Any ideas, other than buying a hope pro 4 and getting it swapped here? Or buying a complete wheel from the UK and selling the old one?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably nothing to do with it, but have found lots get caught out not seating big o ring seal between freehub and body of hub after disassembly. Usually makes freehub drag like too much grease on pawls. Havent noticed it feeling loose?

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Probably nothing to do with it, but have found lots get caught out not seating big o ring seal between freehub and body of hub after disassembly. Usually makes freehub drag like too much grease on pawls. Havent noticed it feeling loose?
Very little drag in the hub at all, seems to spin very well. A lot less drag than my old Hope Pro 2 on the 26"... Freehub is tight and seated well I believe

udi

swiss cheese
Which loctite did you use specifically?
You need to use a retaining compound for this application (which you may have), however I'd specifically recommend 680 or 638 in this case.

Assembly and cure time are very important - make sure all surfaces are cleaned free of oil and grease prior to application, and try to assemble quickly with generous usage of product and then leave completely untouched for the full cure time (ideally 24 hours before handling).

I have heard of this problem before (on Stan's rear hubs) so clearly it's a tolerancing issue and low quality manufacturing. I think upgrading to a Hope is probably a wise choice. However I suspect with the correct usage of the correct loctite product you may have a good chance at solving the problem in the meantime.

Obviously this will only work if the play is between static parts, eg. between axle and bearing (try to isolate the source). Good bearings shouldn't have play so I doubt it would be from the bearing itself if you've replaced it with a quality item. It doesn't hurt to coat all static interfaces with the retaining compound if you want the best chance at eliminating the issue (i.e. OD and ID of all bearings and OD of hub axle prior to assembly).

Last edited:

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine's the same. The axle's probably bent/flexing. I'm also getting a bit of this action:

They are junk in my opinion. Do yourself a favour and buy a Hope.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Interesting point on the loctite Udi, I used what they recommended which was loctite blue as it needs to be easy to remove, but clearly it's not good enough. Might be worth trying the proper stuff as I don't have any intention on disassembling it again...

Rhys I think all of them have those marks, mine does too! While it probably flexes, I have an Allen key 142 rear axle which probably prevents most flex... It hasn't changed or got any new marks from the first time I dismantled it....

How much does it cost to get a hub swapped? I assume after 1 year and 1500km off road that it might require new spokes or nipples, so might as well order a whole new wheel from the UK!

udi

swiss cheese
You'll need new spokes anyway since different hubs have different flange dimensions (changes spoke length). I'd just get a whole new wheel as you said.

For future reference, blue loctite (eg 222/242/243) are threadlockers, only really designed to stop vibration loosening of screws and nuts. The 6XX series I suggested is a retaining compound for bearings and pressfits, it has a much higher ultimate strength and is a very different product designed for compressive loading. Loctite is just the brand. If you want an interim solution, you'll probably find using the right one will do the trick.