Star nut for a cromoly steerer tube

sambula

Likes Dirt
I recently bought some DMR trailblades and installed them using a new star nut. With the forks the headset wouldn't tighten fully, and i did the usual things when i tighten a headset, undo the stem pinchbolts and the like but then the star nut basically popped out the top. Instead of the bolt going down into the thread of the star nut, the bolt was pulling the star nut up.

Basically the star nut is now unusable because its bent and i need a new one and in my eyes the problem with the previous star nut was that it wasn't "biting" into the steerer tube. So my question is do you need a specific type of star nut for a cromoly steerer tube? For example, you need a cromo star nut or it won't stick?

cheers

sambula

Likes Dirt
No, most steerers are chromoly.

Have the LBS install it with the correct tool..?
I installed it myself, so no i basically just bashed it in.

I have been through 3 different star nuts now, one very fancy halo one that still wouldn't stick and i'm starting to think it may be ovalised. However, when i look at the tracks made by the star nut they're evenly marked, so it doesn't appear to be ovalised.

Could there be any other reason it will not stick?

Please help guys because I am TOTALLY lost with this.

sambula

Likes Dirt
Well i don't see how its going to make any difference because how is the proper tool going to make a difference? There's only one way of getting it in there that i can see, and before you say i did hit it in perfectly straight, it just didnt bite on the sides and won't tighten.

So is there any other reason? Or am i missing something which the proper tool does that i cannot?

markfak

Likes Dirt
Hey mate,

You sure you don't have a 1" star fangle nut that you are trying to install and not a 1 1/8?

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Hey mate,

You sure you don't have a 1" star fangle nut that you are trying to install and not a 1 1/8?
That could be one option.

The other is the fact your not using the specific tool designed to set them in the first place. Use one.

DJman

Likes Dirt
the exact same thing happened to my mate when he got his Trailblades.
After a long time of looking to see were the problem was we decided to get a head lock for it, but alas the headlock would just slid through the steerer also.
So we came to the conclution sliding a big f*** off washer over the headlock would work, although we never got round to going to bunnings sonce then as my mate has given up on riding.
So maybe get your hands on a head lock although they can be a bit pricey and heavy and then find out what size washer you need to go over the bottom to stop the headlock sliding through.
Hope this helped