Starting out in trials

dwnhil4thewin

Likes Dirt
hey, im lookin at gettin into sum trials riding. i was just wondering roughly how much a trials bike would cost and if it would be much better than using a normal DJ hardtail bike. thanks to anyone who can help

sichux

Banned
Don't wanna sound like a smartass but

a) Of course its going to be better

b) you can get a rhino 20" for around $300 second hand. They're good value for learners.

Povi

Likes Dirt
a mod will probably be better to begin straight out with, but if u want to, like i am, practice and learn on your normal bike then get something better that will greatly improve your skill level

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you will be fine to learn a lot of the basics on whatever you are riding at the moment, trackstands in particular, get good at the basics, you will regret it later on if you move too quickly and don't have the basics down later on.

once you have the basics down, a trials specific bike will make everything so much easier, and you will progress quite quickly, mod or stock is a never ending argument, for your first bike you can't go wrong with a mod, they are much simpler and have less parts to break.

get onto observedtrials.net/vb/index.php and check out the australian section, there is quite a big scene over there and everyone is quite helpful.

bluewonder2

Likes Dirt
20"... not necessary

remember there is a 26" class for trials. stay 26" and join the likes of ryan leech and martin ashton.

i have two hardtails, both which i use for light trials work. a cannondale caad 3 frame (14") and a giant (13")

the giant is a bit too flexy and fragile, so no rocks! the cannondale is a little more solid.

I have a friend who uses a dmr sidekick, a little weighty, but reassuring.

Povi

Likes Dirt
yeah, im learning on my STP, but today im gettin a zoo pitbull frame so i can buy parts and build my own trials bike

kaotickelly

Likes Dirt
I have a friend who uses a dmr sidekick, a little weighty, but reassuring.
Yeah, sidekicks are great for trials! and it doubles as a burban ride, and dirt jumper. Can do about 6 foot gaps on it, so I say that's pretty good! And yes it's a little heavier than dedicated trials bikes out there... but trust me, when you can have three bikes in one, it's well worth it.

I'm had mine for 5 years, the rear end is still as true as day one.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought a cheap mod bike which is a bit of fun to learn on, but probably should have got a light DJ type bike that can do trials/street/DJ, because it is most versatile.

If you are anything like me, what you intended on doing was probably a combination of trials/street anyhow. Also, by staying on a 26", it is easier to transfer the skills back to a real mtb.

Macbeth

NSWMTB
I've been riding trials for about 7 years now. Started out on a 15inch XC frame and have ridden 26 ever since. I have spent a little time riding mods and they are great for static power moves and the like but for rolling moves and general flow they lick the bag..... Go 26 I say....

DJ and street frames aren't real good for trials as they are generally slack and heavy. The best way to go is to set up a small XC frame with a rigid fork. They handle a lot better than the other bikes and you'll learn stuff quicker, become a better rider and as such meet lots of girls..... That is why we all ride trials right???

I've been riding trials for about 7 years now. Started out on a 15inch XC frame and have ridden 26 ever since. I have spent a little time riding mods and they are great for static power moves and the like but for rolling moves and general flow they lick the bag..... Go 26 I say....

DJ and street frames aren't real good for trials as they are generally slack and heavy. The best way to go is to set up a small XC frame with a rigid fork. They handle a lot better than the other bikes and you'll learn stuff quicker, become a better rider and as such meet lots of girls..... That is why we all ride trials right???
7 years riding trials and hasn't owned a mod! Don't listen to him mods are fantastic for learning trials on and the skills you learn do transfer quite well from mod (20) to stock (26) whereas it is more difficult to learn on a stock. As trials is pretty hard to learn in the beginning, getting a cheap mod is what I would have to recommend to anyone starting out.

Macbeth

NSWMTB
Did i mention mods make you look like a homosexual.....?

20 and 26 are two really different styles of riding.... If you want to learn stuff you can adapt easily to your trail riding then I would say get a 26..... But what would I know :confused:

Did i mention mods make you look like a homosexual.....?

20 and 26 are two really different styles of riding.... If you want to learn stuff you can adapt easily to your trail riding then I would say get a 26..... But what would I know :confused:
With valid points like these who am I to argue...:D