State Enduro Series 2010 (Vic)

red gum

Likes Dirt
l rode at the bendgio 3 hour and it was great for a rider who has no one to team up with l dont think l could do a six hour solo . it was a shame bright drop there 3 hour this year it was a great ride in nov 2009 l would have done it again you dont need many classes for a 3 hour under 18 under40 then above 40 . l think bendgio had 75 riders in the three hour

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
One of the major issues I believe with cutting categories based on the participant number criteria is that you will end up cutting the majority of the female and junior categories.
The 6hr events are participation events, we need to be encouraging as many riders as possible to have a go at MTB. Last year we increased our numbers due to adding a new group of categories eg 3hr. To give away a medalion(s) and put people on the podium doesn't cost the club much and is great for the sport and the club.
In the end it is the club that needs to grow and develop/encourage MTB in it's local area the Enduro's are one strategy to achieving this, bring on more of them!
Not the case, John. Categories offered will be targeted where development is needed or relevant. We need development in both juniors and female participation, and these categories will not be going away any time soon. However extremely poor rates of return in the teams categories shows that work needs to be done to grow these before they can be justified in their current form.

On a similar note, I thought it might be worth making it public that we have indeed thrown around the idea before now of including a 3hr solo series within. The concept was that of the 9 rounds, 7 would offer 6hr, and 5-6 would offer 3hr (obviously two events being 3hr only). I didn't get any strong opposition to the idea, but at the same time it's not being pursued for 2011 at this time - we would want to look at a proper strategy to make this work. Part of the aim behind this is supporting the junior development path.

And lastly while I realise the teams portion of the series is important, a 24hr solo world champion once made a very good point in my presence to some elite riders: "It's called the Victorian Enduro Series, not the Victorian Relay Series".

JorgenY22

Likes Dirt
Thanks, this looks very interesting. I only did one race this year (Youies/Kurrajongs), but really enjoyed the format. Considering how accommodation etc really drives up the cost for an event like the Otway Odyssey, and the need to sleep over for the early start, plus how destroyed I was the following week, I really loved the fun factor of the 6 hour male solo category.

So as a new dad I might have to aim at doing the full series next year; hopefully a good few will be accessible by driving from Melbourne w/o having to sleep over - the WAF goes up a lot on that alone.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Any updates on the prizes for this year's series?
Consider it 'when', not 'if'. There's ongoing issues that need to be resolved, but you will get them if you earned them. Just don't constrain it to being on any defined timeline.

oparlis

Squid
The Duael

Great new event on the horizon. Sunday April 3 in the Goldfields. The Duael, 6 hr pairs enduro where you have to swap rider after every lap. Heaps of classes: elite, womens, mixed, singlespeed, age groups, great prizes. Thats more like it. For details, go to Flat Hill Dirt Crits website.

oparlis

Squid
Consider it 'when', not 'if'. There's ongoing issues that need to be resolved, but you will get them if you earned them. Just don't constrain it to being on any defined timeline.
Any issues resolved or timelines defined regarding the series prizes? We're a couple of months on now.