State Enduro Series 2010 (Vic)

serowe

Likes Dirt
Images from the Lake Mountain errrr what do I call it? :) 2 hr 13 min? No - the Lake Mountain 6 Hour are now available at:

http://www.mtb-images.com.au

Nowhere near the number of ikmages like in previous rounds, for obvious reasons - but they give an indication of the 'muddiness' that was out there.

As usual - if you link to ANY image on the web site, be aware the URL WILL change in 2-3 weks times when they are moved to the back-up server.

Also - read the notes on the event page for deals on a Series DVD of images for individual and team competitors with recgnition for any imkages previously purchased from throughout the series.

Congrats to everyone who took part - whether you finished or not. If anyone needs an image or two for their local newspapers (on track or presentation from any of the 7 rounds) drop me a PM or email ( stephen at mtb-images dot com dot au) and these will be provided at no charge (the more you push yourselves to local papers, the more the coverage of MTB events will become).

I will update the final Top Three collations in the next day or so and put all the links in one message this time (to save upsetting anyone like last time! We have to preseve our internet bandwidth!)

2010 Victorian Endurance Champions - Anne Antrecht and Phillip Orr:

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Provided the course distance, that was used for timing the ave lap speeds really tell a story of how difficult the conditions must have been to ride in last weekend.

No doubt there will still be riders picking mud out of places where mud don't belong

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
Great effort

Before we move onto the 2011 series I would like to pass on my thanks to all the clubs that put on the 2010 series. The tracks were all different, the events all had a different vibe and I really enjoyed the series immensely. So thanks to all the clubbies track builders timers food sellers etc etc all done by passionate mt bikers and their families.. Each race was only $40 too.
We competed in the 40 + teams and the racing between the teams was awesome. On the last race at lake mountain only 64 seconds ended up deciding the placing between 2nd to 5th. We really enjoyed the racing and getting to know the other teams we competed against.
Thanks also for keeping the 40+ cat as part of the series as it was going to be dropped at eh start of the year.
Also a big thanks to Tim for pulling it all together and coordinating the results points events etc.
And now for 2011. Looking at the dates for next year the series can only get better, there is going to be one race a month which will mean it will be an even better series next year and a better spread. I am also looking fwd to racing in Gipsland and a couple of the newer tracks as well. get your teams together folks.
Thanks heaps All involved!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Last edited:

quiggs

Likes Dirt
I'm not in the 40+ cat (just below it actually) and regularly look at the results in both solo and teams of the 40+ and they are always super competitive. Which is great to see.

quiggs

oparlis

Squid
2011 series

Yes, thank you to everyone who did anything to help put on the 2010 series. It was great. There is an issue I'd like to raise though.
I don't understand why classes get dropped. The 4s classes were dropped this year and now others are said to be under threat. I suppose it comes down to why the series is run. If it's to cater for elite riders then I suppose it makes sense. If it is to get more people riding and racing then I don't believe it does. Not everyone is a hot shot and can compete with Phil Orr or whoever, but they still like the idea of entering. Solo, pairs or even triples may seem too much. These people should still have an option. With entry done online and programs that sort the results, I don't see why you'd cut classes and potentially dissuade entrants. If it's a matter of prizes, a medal would be fine, better than a tyre that will wear out. The classes may not have had heaps of riders but they offer an entry point to the sport and as such I believe they should remain part of the series. Bring them back, please.

serowe

Likes Dirt
One of the biggest problems I had when collating images for each category was that apart from the Solo men and Women, many of the other categories simply weren't supported throughout the series. Sure a round may have had 5 or 6 teams, but at each round, with the exception of 2 or 3 teams, they were completely different teams at each round.

If you take the Womens Pairs, for example, there was only one team that competed throughout the entire series - Tim can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think any other Womens Pair did more than one round. Even the Masters Triples only had, again from memory, two teams complete the majority of the series (I can't get onto the points to confirm this at present though).

This said, though, when you look at the actual competition the fact that some of the categories were not even decided until the last round speaks wonders for the series. 3 out of 9 were decided before the final round - but only in the second last round - and even then, apart from the Womens Pairs, 2nd and 3rd could (and did) change in the last round.

JessD

Likes Dirt
series entry or just the occasional opportunity to race?

One of the biggest problems I had when collating images for each category was that apart from the Solo men and Women, many of the other categories simply weren't supported throughout the series. Sure a round may have had 5 or 6 teams, but at each round, with the exception of 2 or 3 teams, they were completely different teams at each round.

If you take the Womens Pairs, for example, there was only one team that competed throughout the entire series - Tim can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think any other Womens Pair did more than one round. Even the Masters Triples only had, again from memory, two teams complete the majority of the series (I can't get onto the points to confirm this at present though).

This said, though, when you look at the actual competition the fact that some of the categories were not even decided until the last round speaks wonders for the series. 3 out of 9 were decided before the final round - but only in the second last round - and even then, apart from the Womens Pairs, 2nd and 3rd could (and did) change in the last round.
Hey Steve,
There are a large proportion of people I am sure that turn up to an Enduro Series event because of opportune location, having a weekend available, being asked to join a team impromptu, or just because they think that particular event sounds like fun.
Personally, I do not race any SERIES event for an overall win, but rather for training and/or fun factor.
I am certain there would be other people out there with my mindset.
And then there are those that race in a team for a bit, their mate cant make it one weekend, then they decide to race solo...and badaboom! they never go back to being in that team again.
Either way, the fact that there is a series in Victoria is awesome, but not everyone does it for the 'series factor'

serowe

Likes Dirt
Jess,

Just to clarify - I wasn't putting anyone down for not doing the entire series and I do understand that some people don't want to (or simply can't) race the entire series.

My comment about some being at only a few rounds wasn't about individual team members but teams as a whole. This is why I wanted to look at the overall point score printout as it shows what I mean (have to wait until Tim can fix this as the PDF is still broken). The best example is Female Pairs - and, again, definately not knocking ANY of the competitors - but this is a category where only one TEAM effectively raced more than one round (I stand to be corrected). I have points after Rnd 5 that I can read and back then 11 teams had competed but ONLY the Wheezettes in more than one round.

Male Triples is another - after Albury, of the 30 teams to have run in the 5 rounds, only Team YVC and Wheezers had competed in more than one round. Mixed triples similar - 15 teams and Leftover Wheezers and Third Wheel in more than one round.

It's possible some of the teams that only did one round consisted of the same people but under different names (and that is another issue) but any race organiser wants the best turnout for their event and, consequently, for the series.

Is there an easy answer? Don't really know - but I am aware that it is being looked at and , like TV ratings, you have to go with what is popular - if something isn't being supported, is it realistic to keep it going?

riderideride

Likes Dirt
some rounds I race mixed pairs, some rounds I race mixed triples, sometimes solo, sometimes female pairs. It changes all the time. Maybe others are the same....turn up to most rounds but not in the same team.

oparlis

Squid
class issues

Steve,
I see what you are saying but I don't see why it is a problem. I also think that some of the measures talked about for next year, like series entries, will help. Once a class has been removed, you'll never know if people would have entered in that one again. If teams categories act as a stepping stone for less athletically talented or less confident then haven't they served their purpose? I'm sure a lot of the riders who entered in teams would not have raced at all if they didn't have the team option. Why not let the physically gifted have their categories and have classes for the rest of us as well?

serowe

Likes Dirt
Don;t take what I have written as gospel about what will happen - I know that all of this is being considered for next year's series. From my perspective though there is still inconsistency in the series from round to round and I think this has to be looked at as well.

I suspect (again - my viewpoint and don't even know if it is being considered, but this comes from my motor sport background) that maybe some of the lesser supported categories* may just be taken out of the series as a category - that doesn't mean they can't run (if you look at some of the rounds they have also run a Junior or Schools category as well - but they don't 'race' for the Enduro Series just for the round) - maybe this is the way to go - settle on certain categories for the Enduro Series and then have 'support categories' that run as well.

Whichever way it goes I am sure that everythng is being looked at in ways that will help the entire series and not just a small portion/category of it.

* - By this I mean those that don;t have a regular half dozen or so running the entire series.