State/Local Politics Thread: En garde!

scblack

Leucocholic
Perhaps but they never would have been able to dig themselves such a big hole without a complete and utter lack of a viable alternative.

It says a lot about the state opposition that they haven't been able to oust labour 3 elections ago.

So now we've got a choice.

Reelect a government that has proven to be in the past to inept and at times corrupt.

Or give them the boot for no other reason than we've had enough and

1:elect a new Party that has offered nothing in the last 13 years and shown no sign of improvement, but hey they couldn't do any worse could they?
or
2: vote independent/green and get the same mess we're seeing in federal politics right now.

Either way we're screwed
Thats all well and nice but the fact is, the state is completely f**ked with labor in now.

Lets list some "achievements":

• Fire sale of NSW electricity assets for pathetic price;
  • Barangaroo shitfight - the only way this gets through court is by the Minister changing laws for this site alone days before parliament is prorogued;
  • Cross City tunnel - placed in liquidation;
  • Lane Cove tunnel - placed in liquidation;
  • Part 3A planning laws - supposed to have been used for major approvals by the minister for about 20% of major developments - is actually used for 93%;
  • Sydney Metro - spent well over $500million dollars for NOTHING;
  • $1billion dollar improvement for Royal North Shore hospital - to add ONE bed;
  • North-West rail line annouced over a decade ago - still not touched;
  • Improve on-time train performance - by lengthening the time considered on-time;
  • Pro-roguing parliament 3months ahead of election due to being shit-scared of parliamentary inquiry into electricity fire-sale;

This is only the recent shit I can think off the top of my head, without searching. There is bucket loads more crap.

Inept is hardly the word for it.

placebo

Likes Dirt
when i was in sydney the transport didn't seem all that bad? i mean sure it's bad, but there's zillions of people. considering the transport load i thought it did pretty well?
The olympics were eleven years ago, you need to move on.

Thats all well and nice but the fact is, the state is completely f**ked with labor in now.

• Barangaroo shitfight - the only way this gets through court is by the Minister changing laws for this site alone days before parliament is prorogued;
  • Part 3A planning laws - supposed to have been used for major approvals by the minister for about 20% of major developments - is actually used for 93%;
  • Improve on-time train performance - by lengthening the time considered on-time;
  • Pro-roguing parliament 3months ahead of election due to being shit-scared of parliamentary inquiry into electricity fire-sale;

This is only the recent shit I can think off the top of my head, without searching. There is bucket loads more crap.

There just hasn't been an opposition that wasn't simply pathetic, or mired in the same infighting as the labor party. Hell, former opposition leader John Brogden couldn't even successfully kill himself after he self destructed and cursed us with another term of labor.

As for the Part 3A planning laws, the Illawarra Mercury had a nice article on a flood plain at Calderwood here, which despite being more than a metre under water during the recent floods, has been approved for development by the labor planning minister against all council recommendations and local opposition.

By some small miracle O'Farrell hasn't managed to shove his head up his arse and then stick his foot in his mouth. Finally we'll get a change. Will there be an improvement? "Barry O'Farrell - Possibly not as bad as Labor!". Really inspiring.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
. Finally we'll get a change. Will there be an improvement? "Barry O'Farrell - Possibly not as bad as Labor!". Really inspiring.
Therein lies the issue "Possibly not as bad as Labor".

for 16 years we've said better the devil you know

Now we're willing to try a new devil I just hope Barry "there won't be any more crazy cycle lanes" O'Farrell realizes that he's not being voted in with a mandate it's more we're voting labor out with emphasis.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The only thing uglier than state politics is local politics.

I wish I had some faith that these clowns will be any better than the last pack of fools and the fools they replaced.

Battler

Likes Dirt

[*]Barangaroo shitfight - the only way this gets through court is by the Minister changing laws for this site alone days before parliament is prorogued;

Im not to concerned about this going ahead for the only reason that it is currently giving me a job and keeping the company i work for afloat within NSW. Not only that but it wont truly kick off for another 18 months.

But hypothetically if i didnt work for them i would be furious at the plans and money being forked out for this development. If you had seen the fly through and the hotel they are planning on putting up which is ugly as all get out i would imagine most people would have the same reaction.

But its paying my bills so please continue.

And if anyone is interested here is the fly through

http://www.barangaroo.com/Stage1_EOI.cfm?menu_id=3

6 billion dollar job to be competed over 12 - 15 years.

Last edited:

placebo

Likes Dirt
Ex-deputy premier John Watkins gave a good interview on ABC sunday morning, in which he said John Robertson was almost certain to be the new state labor leader.

The ABC with its typical left wing media bias ran a character reference for Robertson, courtesy of Paul Keating:

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/45678.html