Steel Alfine Hub Rigid Disk Mountainbike...

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So,

My mother has started cycling quite a lot so I gave her my old Repco fluro work strapper roady, but she finds the position too extreme for the long scenic rides she does.

I've been asked to find her a suitable bike. She does a lot of road/dirt roads, is quite tall (5'10") and most of that is leg, has no mechanical ability at all.

All of this has had me thinking a rigid steel (more comfortable/durable/I can easily tig it up for her) gear hub bike with disks (rain, stopping power etc) would be the perfect animal. I found something perfect: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/fortitude/fortitude-adventure

But I can't find them in Australia. Can anyone offer some suggestions on bikes I can get here, or have ones that have decent shipping from overseas.

Is my choice of steed about right?

Cheers

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try for a complete on one inbred. They occasionally release them complete with internal guard hubs.

Or on one also do the pompetamime which is a cx bike built around an alfine hub. Takes disc brakes and fits up to 38c tires I think. That's what I would buy.

rone

Eats Squid
rone bought the 2012 model Trace 40 which came with the Alfine setup and switched over all the parts to a Cotic Road Rat frame. He was selling the Road Rat on here prior to moving to Tassie, but didn't get a buyer.
Still for sale. Size large. Price negotiable. PM me if interested.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I built pretty much this exact bike for my wife, Surly 1x1 + alfine 11 hub. great bike, once you get used to the weight of the hub.

Being such an unfasionable list of things you want, you are likely to need to either be lucky and grab one 2nd hand or build it up yourself.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
there's also the Focus Planet series. the TR1.0 and TR2.0 both use the alfine hub, along with a gates belt setup.
i test rode the TR1.0, nice bike... just decided i didn't really need another bike at the time.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like those on ones, the frames are pretty sharply priced and shipping to australia is bugger all. The planets look good for an aluminium job.

Silent I really want a gear hub for her, then I don't have to drive all the way to her place to tune her derailleur+reliability etc.

Rone I'll message you in a bit about that apollo.