Steep downhill with nasty water diversion bars - Advice please

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
As above, you need to absorb with an early bunny hop and not get airborn.

That said, when water bars are on real steep firetrail they are sometimes only 10m apart - in that situation you can suddenly find yourself unable to keep your speed in check between bars and you start to accelerate. When this happens, sooner or later the bunny hop technique runs out of space - you better be real close to the end of the run when that happens.....

Given you have lots of people with a certain time, I'd suggest that's exactly what they are doing and indeed strava is correct (as it is 99% of the time)

Jumping waterbars down Unknown hills is bad - I know of one fatality years ago in the blue mountains and one helicopter trip out due to jumping waterbars in series

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
also try switching to techy single track, that's where the real shifts in times can be perceived, pure speed downhill on a firetrail isn't really that much of a benchmark & can only get you so far. Technique, skill, bike handling, braking.... so many things that can be a huge factor in haw fast you are. I recently had a KOM on a short single track section and wondered how much further i could push it, not much more was the answer, however a few new riders came along and that time tumbled and continues to do so. I'm happy to remain in the top 10 but will never get much faster.

teK--

Eats Squid
Just putting your weight back will make the back wheel buck you forwards, same as if u did this on a jump. The key is either to bunny hop over the whole water bar or, to drive the rear/pedals into and up over the mound, using it as a ramp. This is assuming the mound is smooth and not a square edged hit otherwise u can dent or break your wheel.

First option is easier and more margin for error if you are going really fast.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
As above, you need to absorb with an early bunny hop and not get airborn.

That said, when water bars are on real steep firetrail they are sometimes only 10m apart - in that situation you can suddenly find yourself unable to keep your speed in check between bars and you start to accelerate. When this happens, sooner or later the bunny hop technique runs out of space - you better be real close to the end of the run when that happens.....

Given you have lots of people with a certain time, I'd suggest that's exactly what they are doing and indeed strava is correct (as it is 99% of the time)

Jumping waterbars down Unknown hills is bad - I know of one fatality years ago in the blue mountains and one helicopter trip out due to jumping waterbars in series
All I hear is Pharma's voice saying "gap it ya pussy!"

Just putting your weight back will make the back wheel buck you forwards, same as if u did this on a jump. The key is either to bunny hop over the whole water bar or, to drive the rear/pedals into and up over the mound, using it as a ramp. This is assuming the mound is smooth and not a square edged hit otherwise u can dent or break your wheel.

First option is easier and more margin for error if you are going really fast.
Like you would if pumping a skateboard on a ramp...

Ivan

Eats Squid
Just gap them.

[video=youtube;vwH30KfGsPE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwH30KfGsPE[/video]

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Just putting your weight back will make the back wheel buck you forwards, .
Thanks for this, really good thread & a great read, ive been doing the above, wondering why my back wheel lifts with my weight back, ill try to weight the pedals more; will help me descend bits of macedon a little faster i hope

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for this, really good thread & a great read, ive been doing the above, wondering why my back wheel lifts with my weight back, ill try to weight the pedals more; will help me descend bits of macedon a little faster i hope
Agree - thanks all!

Have some things to work on but I have to say, I'm not sure I have the kahoona's to attempt bunny hops over water bars whilst the bike is at -25 to -30 deg and travelling 30+ kph! :baby:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Cantered...keep your self cantered.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Agree - thanks all!

Have some things to work on but I have to say, I'm not sure I have the kahoona's to attempt bunny hops over water bars whilst the bike is at -25 to -30 deg and travelling 30+ kph! :baby:
My top tip is not to try going too fast to early. As long as you are riding lots on different trails of different types plus doing some self teaching in the various skills parks and easy trails the speed will come as a result when you are ready.

No one gets faster when they are injured and what I've seen if the steep fire trails with water bars in Oz they are the perfect place to give yourself a damn good scuffing.

Listen to your instinct not strava or your mates goading you on. When you are ready your times will increase step by step

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Agree - thanks all!

Smaller kahunas required than using it as a jump, which is what pretty much all intermediates do

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Will find appropriate image for educational purposes.
ill be very disappointed if you don't.
Sorry for the image quality. The original file was too big for rotorburn, my cameraman is a total rookie, I've edited this to cut it down, turned it into a screen shot, re-edited and changed file type (rotorburn doesn't like screen shots...), and finally it is up. I'm a photo rookie myself!

eyes on the prize.jpg

Anyway...

Body position is the key when attempting to boost a water bar. I like to pump my body down into the high side of the bar and spring up when it pushes my bike up (similar to the skateboard action a few people have mentioned earlier). I then swiftly pull the bike up under me (as can sort of be seen in this image). It is kind of like lifting the front wheel up and placing it on a shelf, then rocking the back end up to level and pushing the bike onto the shelf. This keeps my weight near the frame (reducing dead sailor action and wibbly wobbly wooooooo) and ensures plenty of air time. Arms and legs are at about 50% bend so i can compress or extend as required. I might need to change landing zones, so move the bike in the air or absorb a lot of thump when i come down (only running 120mm front and 100mm rear). I'm leaning a fair bit more forward than i like to in this photo, obviously trying to milk the jump a bit too hard! Better to keep the head and shoulders back a little more. It wouldn't take too bit a rock/hole/stick to ping me over the bars. I had a group of university girls on this trail a few years back. One of them was a real shredder...it inspired her friends a bit too much and one ate a lot of shit over the bars. Lucky for full face helmets! The whole side of the helmet was shredded, a much better outcome than her face. You'll notice that I'm not wearing a helmet or looking at the trail...I'm too epic! Always wear a helmet and spot your landing.

FYI - this is from the bottom of "Sawmill" in the Watagans.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agree - thanks all!

The trick is not to try and bunny hop the whole waterbar, but rather just skim the front face and landing almost right at the top. With a dually it works well when just kissing the highest point, with your rear suspension soaking up the tap. That way you dont get massive speed from pumping down after landing halfway down the face

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My top tip is not to try going too fast to early. As long as you are riding lots on different trails of different types plus doing some self teaching in the various skills parks and easy trails the speed will come as a result when you are ready.

No one gets faster when they are injured and what I've seen if the steep fire trails with water bars in Oz they are the perfect place to give yourself a damn good scuffing.

Listen to your instinct not strava or your mates goading you on. When you are ready your times will increase step by step
You are right! Part of my problem is I convinced myself 18 months ago that I just wanted to ride MTB to get myself off the road and away from the multitude of cyclist hating drivers. If I could hoon down the local fire trails and get an hour or 2 workout, I'd be happy. I tend to ride the same circuits week in week out and do very little technical stuff apart from hooning through gravelly and sandy corners. I've competed on the road and triathlon for over 20 years and for the past few years I haven't wanted to race; however I know that if I ever do want to race XC (at a reasonable level at least) I need to broaden my skill base. Time to venture out a little!

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
You are right! Part of my problem is I convinced myself 18 months ago that I just wanted to ride MTB to get myself off the road and away from the multitude of cyclist hating drivers. If I could hoon down the local fire trails and get an hour or 2 workout, I'd be happy. I tend to ride the same circuits week in week out and do very little technical stuff apart from hooning through gravelly and sandy corners. I've competed on the road and triathlon for over 20 years and for the past few years I haven't wanted to race; however I know that if I ever do want to race XC (at a reasonable level at least) I need to broaden my skill base. Time to venture out a little!
Venture out to new and varied trails. Main reason to do it is it's loads of fun!

You will end up a much better rider too