Stellenbosch, South Africa ride report

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Just back in the country after a week in and around Cape Town, unfortunately most of which was devoted to work and not catching the Cape Epic. However I did get a morning's riding in just outside Stellenbosch. This was the venue for stages 5-7 of this year's race, and has also been used past editions. Most of the single track takes place in Jonkershoek nature reserve, a stunning valley just up from the swanky vineyards for which the area is famous for.

IMG_0646.JPG

There's a bike hire place about 2 km from the reserve entrance, and thanks to the awesome exchange rate a decent ride is $20 a day. Entry into the reserve is another $6. The valley was an area of significant forestry, but the pines are being systematically removed, and the plan is for the original vegetation to be restored. That coupled with recovery from a big fire last year means the most of the trail areas are really open countryside which makes for pretty nice views.

jonkershoek.jpg

Access is a short 10 min run up a gravel road, then you are into the trails. I couldn't find a map, but it looked like most of the network was on the left hand side as you head up the valley. The highest trails were about 500m above the valley floor, most of the network is XC/trail, loose over hardpack and plenty of rocks, but it's in a pleasingly natural state rather than being groomed to buggery. There was some more gravity stuff that looked purpose built for the Cape Epic, but I didn't find any serious downhill.

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

I only had an hour and a half so really didn't do the place justice, but it looks like you could comfortably spend a day in the reserve. There's also a little cafe at the entrance for refuelling. Given there's a shitload of trails on Table Mountain, the Cape Town area seems pretty awesome for mountain biking. Booze and food is seriously cheap given the weak rand, a pint of local craft brew is around the $3-$4 mark and a massive steak can be had in a restaurant for $15. On the downside you do have to be conscious of security as there is a blindingly obvious divide between the rich and poor, however at least in the central areas, and tourist sites security is pretty visible. And you do also meet some interesting wildlife on the trails!

baboon.jpg

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Unless you were going to be spending weeks in the country I'd recommend just hiring a bike rather than bringing one, especially given the cost and availability of decent rides from several outlets in and around Cape Town. Also Joburg baggage handlers aren't noted for either their honesty or delicacy with luggage, plus security and bike transport are going to be issues.