Stem hight

J_Daniher

Likes Bikes
Hey I've seen some xc bikes have real low stems and have all the spacers on top but I've Judy bought a new anthem x advanced and all the spacers are below the stem. So I was just wondering what height should my stem be and what are the advantages of having it lower. I'm 6ft 1" and ride a XL frame

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
At 6'1" you're rather on the small side for a XL frame, unless you've got legs up to your armpits!

It depends a lot on your flexibility if you can comfortably ride a low setup, but it's primarily about weight balance. A low stem will place more weight over the front of the bike, which improves cornering grip & climbing. The tradeoff is that you need to be more aware of getting your bum back when pointing downwards (especially when it gets lumpy), as you can be more prone to planting the front & going OTB. Anyone who tells you that you can't OTB a 29er is talking out of their arse. I know for a fact (experience :embarassed:) that it's possible.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
As above, stem lower gives you more weight on the front tyre and therefore more grip available. If you are new to MTB don't run it too low until you get more confident on the downhill sections.

My advice would be to setup the stem so that the handlebars are not higher than the saddle. Typically more experience riders will have the handlebars 1-3 inches below the saddle height.