Sticky clutch?

Macr

Likes Dirt
I have this issue when I stop pedalling. I get a clunk in the drivetrain. I am wondering if it may be the pawls not releasing instantaneously and the freewheel rolls the chain forward a little, pulling the derailleur forward. Then when the pawls disengage, the spring tension slams the derailleur back, making the clunking sound.
Those that have had this issue before, how did you rectify it? Did you pull down the clutch and lightly grease it, or some other solution?

Macr

Likes Dirt
Oh. Back to the bike shop then. You might void any warranty if you start pulling the hub apart.
Pfft, I ain't sending it to Belfast! :p
I will investigate further, but most likely pull the freehub and inspect.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Is it a Shimano derailler? Is there a noticeable difference in shift quality with the clutch on/off?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Not sure. Could be, could also be a stiff link. The bike is 80kms old though.
Won't be a astiff link, that would clunk while you're pedalling, every time it goes through the derailleur & over the cassette.

Put the bike up on a workstand, crank it up a bit then let go of the crank. If it keeps turning, getting driven by the wheel, there is something causing excess friction between the freewheel body and hub shell. If there is a "dork disc" spoke guard fitted, it may be hooking on the back of the cassette.

Macr

Likes Dirt
If there is a "dork disc" spoke guard fitted, it may be hooking on the back of the cassette.
How dare you insult me, by accusing me of having a dork disc. I demand a duel at dawn tomorrow! :p

Won't be a astiff link, that would clunk while you're pedalling, every time it goes through the derailleur & over the cassette.
Yeah, I know, I was clutching at straws.

Now back to this duel. Banjos or bagpipes?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Nup. SRAM
Dont really think you can do much with them.

I've had luck cleaning/greasing the shimano clutches and it has improved shifting and got rid of the odd ticking/clunking feel in drivetrain.

Macr

Likes Dirt
Dont really think you can do much with them.

I've had luck cleaning/greasing the shimano clutches and it has improved shifting and got rid of the odd ticking/clunking feel in drivetrain.
The clutch I am talking about is the freehub, not the derailleur.

Macr

Likes Dirt
It is looking like the clutch in the freehub. I saw it over run and the chain goes slack on top. Then the derailleur pulls the chain back. Either that or the derailleur does not have enough tension in the return spring. But SRAM make millions of derailleurs, so I am leaning towards the hub. Time to disassemble, clean and lightly grease.