sticky piston - Elixir CRs

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
I have Elixir CRs.

I am having trouble pushing the pistons back and don't want to force them. They will not return to be flush with the calliper. I put new pads in and they were right up against the rotor.

If I pump the levers (with no pads in) there is movement and I can push them back, but they still protrude by about 1mm. I think their is more movement on the outside one (and it protrudes more)

What do I do? How do I clean them? Can I really put WD40 on them or will I risk contaminating the pads?

Finally, what is the practical difference between ceramic and steel/organic pads.

Thanks

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get the WD-40 Away from the brakes!!!! :rolleyes:

Try letting some fluid out? Elixers come with too much fluid in the system.

My elixer 5's rub alot.

Last edited:

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
Thanks, yes, the WD40 was mentioned in another thread, but it didn't sound right to me either.

This has not been a problem to date. This is the first time I have changed the pads (or perhaps the second - cant quite remember if I had it done as part of a service??) in 12 months of owning this bike. I did have to adjust them a few times in the first few weeks but it has not been a problem since.

This seems to be something special. I can get the wheel in, just, but it will not spin freely at all.

This is why I am wondering if the pistons need a clean. How do I do this?

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah, re-reading it helps, I was thinking of a totally different yet very common elixer problem xD.
Sorry, don't know about Sticky pistons.

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
maybe try playing around with the contact while pushing them in etc.
Thanks, what is the contact? Do you mean the pad contact adjustment?

Hmmm, I expect I will be trying to get into the LBS tomorrow...

So much for rainy day repairs.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks, what is the contact? Do you mean the pad contact adjustment?

Hmmm, I expect I will be trying to get into the LBS tomorrow...

So much for rainy day repairs.
yep, the red barrel adjuster on the lever.

have a muck around with it, but as menittioned earlier may be to much fluid.

is the lever sticky at all

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it might be a bit sticky. It seems to return quite slowly
possiblity that you'll need a lever rebuild. but it may be caused by the caliper by the fluid not retraction out of the piston chambers fast enough.

best bet would be to take them to your lbs.