Stiff steering

juliancantride

Likes Dirt
I installed my headset about a week and a half ago now. At first the steering was a little bit stiff eg. when you spin the bars around they dont spin freely, they stop about a quarterway around.

At first I thought this would just go away after I wore it in a bit but the problem has persisted. I've loosened all the stem bolts, headset cap, re-lubed the headset but it's still stiff.

Has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it?

Cheers.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Overtightening of the top cap. You're obviously running an open ball headset, non-cartridge type based on your relubrication description.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd just loosen your stem bolts..loosen the headset cap in small increments until the steering frees up but not too loose that the steerer moves in the headset then tighten the stem again.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everything is stiff for a while.

I repacked my headset a while ago with new grease, it was really stiff until the grease wore in and let the bearings move freely again.

Perpetual-Motion

Likes Bikes
I'd suggest you pull it apart, check that the race is all the way down on the steerer, Inspect the bearings, Check the internals of your bikes' head tube for scaring. Do not ride that bike there is something wrong with your assembly or your head tube is ovalised. There's no way your steering should be like that Even if you tightened the shit outa crown you should still be able to turn the handlebars all the way round. If your unsure go and see a shop at least if something goes wrong you can blame some one who should have known proper instal protocol