Stinky Help

riene5

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

Second try, this time in the correct forum.
I want to get a bike to get into free riding / north shore and a little (non-compeditive) DH on the side.

There is an oppurtunity for me to buy an 08 Stinky.
I have read many reviews of this bike that say it is a joy for free riding, so it has that box ticked. Can it handle a little DH on the side - read Threadbow / Ourimbah

Is the 7 inch rear travel a frame limitation or shock limitation?
In time, if I decide to put some tripple clamp forks on it (approx 8 inch travel), would this upset the balance of the bike travel wise?

I was considering a Stab until the Stinky oppurtunity came along.

Any pros / cons would be greatly appreciated.

indica

Serial flasher
I haven't ridden an 08, BUT my wife has an 07 (which I have ridden) and I used to have an 05.
7 inch travel is not really a limitation.
The bike is the freeride design, we have put 888 RC2X's on my wifes bike, and it rides fine, hasn't upset the geo at all.
The bike is great for DH and all riding, I used to do general trail work on mine and it weighed 19.5 kg.
My Stinky rode all of Cairns, Buller and Maldon. My wifes bike has done that and You Yangs and Eagle MTB Park in Adelaide.

The Stab has better suspension for all stuff, but the Stinky handles the big stuff very well.
I found the Stab lower and longer, which then felt a lot faster, and as a consequence of that I crashed and busted the frame.