Stolen Bikes - anyone got them back?

Cam Hart

Likes Dirt
A lot of high end bikes have been stolen over the past few months. Lots of stories about theft and devastated owners. Has anyone had their's found and returned?

i have had my atx-1 returned, actually ditched at schoool during, yeah, DURING, school hours and he ran before we could catch him, dirty magget, i think they returned it because the next day we had the police treading all over the school being basterds on purpose, searching houses and the peoples houses that were seached, theyre parents rang up and gave greif to the school, it was funny but never going to happen again.! never, just a peice of advice....never ride your bike and leave it locked up in public view, no telling what they will do, to get mine they cut into a bike cage and cut through a fence to get in(wire) and cut the fence where the locks were and then cut the locks, shows how desperate some poeple are, dont trust anybody!! dont think it wont happen, and anybody else with their bike gone missing....GOOD LUCK!! hope you get your bike back, i know how much it sucks getting it stolen

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Chances are, if it's little kids or teens stealing bikes that are locked up outside in easy to steal places, there's a half decent chance the bike will be recovered since these people are... well... not too smart.

If you're hit by a more professional crew, like I think I was, then they'll obviously be far more careful and you'll never see your ride again.

My rides were stolen from the locked area, underneath our house. The went in sometime during the night, with bolt cutters, were quiet enough not to get noticed by the multitudes of people living around our house (units everywhere), took their time when they were inside, took everything that was worth stealing, left the rest, and obviously had a vehicle nearby to drive it away.

Needless to say, after having police forensics over, and posting signs, as well as notices on Farkin, I haven't seen my old Brodie Holeshot ( http://www.farkin.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4271 ) since.

What have I learned? The only safe place to keep your bike is in a room next to yours, inside your house. I've had people recommend even locking it up inside your house.

whoever got under the house probably knew it was there, cos u dont just go under houses hoping to find a 2 grand bike!everyone who has stolen a bike before or is thinking of stealing one shsout be shot, if they survive..shot again, its too low.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Psycodh said:
whoever got under the house probably knew it was there, cos u dont just go under houses hoping to find a 2 grand bike!
Yes, I'm pretty sure they knew beforehand the bike was under there as well... :roll:

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
i lost/got stolen my phone at school, but then a few days later it got handed in at reception. i was very impressed. (soz, i no its not a bike)

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Techno Destructo said:
I've had people recommend even locking it up inside your house.
I have my bikes locked to each other and a bracket in the wall of my house. If you want them, your going to have to a decent amount of work, and bring the right tools for the job.

ddurda

Squid
I had a 2000 Rocky Mountain Pipeline stolen in March of 2003. The funny thing is that it had nice bright orange colour to it and very distinguished features, but nothing has turned up yet. Luckily I was insured.
The thieves actually broke into our security protected carpark, then broke into my metallic secure parking cage, then broke into my personal lockup section with bolt cutters!! I think they must have been bike lovers to identify such a good bike to steal.
Really sucks, the feeling you get when you notice its gone- almost want to get medieval if I ever caught them!
Good luck on finding yours!

MikeT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my brother had his bmx stolen once he put it right outside the video store ran in to return a vid then came out and it was gone he put posters up around our area and some lady at a church found it dumped there and she wouldnt even take a reward wen it was offered

Tankass

Likes Dirt
my mate lost his rockymountain RM7 with pretty good specs on it.it was chained inside his work place.then one day while a group of us were having supper along some road side stores,we saw a guy riding a RM7 across the road.all of us gave chase and later wack the bugger ,then we call the police.

danv

Likes Dirt
bike returned

Not exactly a 'high end' bike but my rincon (hey it was pimped up with a deore crankset) was stolen from richmond station in Melbourne last year, and after reporting it to the coppers they rang me a few days later and said a bike matching my description had been found (even though i gave them a WRONG serial numbera thanks to a dumbass from the bikeshop i bought it at).

So I cruise on up to the copshop (on foot :cry: ) and there is my bike, complete with new sickarse handlebars, grips, rims, seat, seatpost, cluster. And a crappy paint job. Heaps better than when I left it!!!!!!

Getting stolen (and returned) was the best thing that ever happened to that bike :D .

toodles

Wheel size expert
Usually tracking the bike down with your mates is the best chance. A few years ago a mate had his Mongoose Amplifier Comp (old I know) stolen and it took us about three weeks before we found it. Unfortunately, the kid had been lake-jumping on it and it was pretty beat up when we got it back. Almost worth losing the bike just for the hiding we gave the little shit.

Griz

Likes Dirt
Like when they stole my honda cr125 they cutt the locks on the disk rotars so they could wheel it out! They must of wanted it something shockin!

Now all my m8s and there m8s are on the lookout for it!

I got one of my other bikes stolen from da fish and chip shop Bmx Fat Boy Specialized!

The next day a boy riding down the st just near it was stolen!
I said hey can i have a ride lol!
He goes yea not a problem so i got it and i go can i have the helmet to lol which was mine and off i went in a cloud of smoke back to my house lol! :D

danv

Likes Dirt
DHshart said:
u sure it was ya bike then???
Serial number. :wink:

Even though the bike shop actually gave me the wrong number, so I reported the incorrect the number to the cops. Luckily it was very similar - just one number out - so the cops still gave me a try.