Stopping Cleat Bolts from Rusting in

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
Yep I mangled the allen key holes on my SPD bolts, so after hacksawing and alot of muscle with a screwdriver I managed to get the bolts out. Looking at the thread on the bolt I can see why it was in such bad form. So much muck and rust.

What is the best way of making sure that my bolts go in, dont move when riding and come out when I am finished? Considering they get rock strike, walking damage and are in the muddiest and dirties position ever. I was thinking of greasing the thread but that would just allow them to come out easier when riding. I them though some blue locktight to hold them in but unsure if that would just make it worse or better.

Any suggestions? Shimano tech docs don't say what I should do.

placebo

Likes Dirt
Definitely locktite them in. It stops them loosening, and keeps water and crap from getting in and rusting/binding them up so you can't get the bolts out. I've usually just used 222 grade.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Grease will also help prevent ingress of water and dirt. I grease the threads liberally and do them up nice and tight; I've never had them come loose. I do check them every now and again, but they rarely tighten up more than about a sixteenth of a turn.

If you do use Loctite make sure it's not the super strength stuff! I've had great success in other endeavours with anti-seize compound, but I'm not sure it's the right stuff for this application.