stopping the spammers

lucky13

Likes Dirt
well, after some wanker set off his big hairy spam bomb this morning, i have a suggestion that may stop these cheeky spammers that seem to be getting worse.

i think if the farkin bosses made it so that you must have at least say 10 or 20 posts (in non off-topic forums) before you get the privelage of making a new thread, the spammers might just piss off.

anyone agree?

Last edited:

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
dude that is a awesome idea im all for it:D

i just thort then wont they just spam the already exsitng threads :mad:

but a good idea any way

peace todd:D

Joy

Likes Dirt
What kind of email addresses are they using to sign up? Don't the mods (or someone) go through some process of validation emails and whatnot? It'd be pretty easy to just deny someone trying to start an account with the name "jamesmobile"

S.

ex offender
What kind of email addresses are they using to sign up? Don't the mods (or someone) go through some process of validation emails and whatnot? It'd be pretty easy to just deny someone trying to start an account with the name "jamesmobile"
Nah, it's automated. We have dozens of members signing up every day, it's not possible for us to manually verify all of them.

The posts-before-new-threads suggestion is a pretty good one though, have to see what Scott reckons but personally I think it's a good idea.

downhillerBen

Likes Dirt
haha "big hairy spam bomb", OHH that got a good laugh out of me.
But seriously piss off spammers, i think this is a good idea.

Matt H

Eats Squid
I reckon posts before threads would be pretty silly...

I remember I only signed up here to post an urgent thread about fixing a cable disc brake... I think..

What should be done maybe is one of those weird writing code things before you post say, your first 10 threads or something.

Otherwise spammers will just post in existing threads, I've seen it in other forums...

gorilla

Likes Bikes
after the bullshit going on on here lately, i think it might be time to make farkers apply to make new threads.

Last edited:

matty hall

Likes Dirt
after the bullshit going on on here lately, i think it might be time to make farkers apply to make new threads.
That would just overload the mods im thinking. Think about how many new threads appear every day. And as said above in another post, if its urgent and there isnt a mod online it will create havock.

clockworked

Like an orange
it'd definitely teach the newbies about the search function to find they're info if they're unable to join and straight away ask retarded questions..

I can't see many negatives to the idea

lucky13

Likes Dirt
what my hairy brother means here is to make farkers apply for the privelage to make threads (just like trading access), not apply each time you want to start a new thread.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On joining, answer a simple question..
Why are you joining this forum?

Mods just accept the decent ones and give the boot to the crap ones.

'Ross

Eats Squid
On joining, answer a simple question..
Why are you joining this forum?

Mods just accept the decent ones and give the boot to the crap ones.
That would probably be far too much work for the mods, considering they already have to do all the trading application crap.

Luckys original idea is great I think, would really like to see it implemented.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That would probably be far too much work for the mods, considering they already have to do all the trading application crap.

Luckys original idea is great I think, would really like to see it implemented.
Give Chris (Plow King) that job.
I'm sure he would love it ;)

that_stoney_one

Likes Dirt
giving something to the mods to verify would be too much work for them as they already have enough things do clean up around here.

but the idea of the number/letter verification (captcha) i think is a fairly good idea, it may take a bit of work for scott to get it up and working. but it sounds like a good idea so that mods will not be dumped another load of work on their shoulders.

however, with the 10 posts with the captcha i personally think if i was some one like jamesmobile i would just make 10 posts even with the captcha thing. so maybe upping this to something stupid like 50 would really deter them.

yes i know i said something stupid like 50 posts, but maybe this has to be done in order to help keep these great forums clean of spamming bastards!

my 2C

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Is it possible to restrict newbs to a a New Joiners section where a newby can only create a Yes/No "Poll" for his first post where they introduce themselves, why they want to join etc... and the rest of us vote on their membership application?

that_stoney_one

Likes Dirt
some one, and someone will end up being mods will have to come through that particular forum and go through every thread and find out what we have voted and then allow them access....which is still more work for the mods. cant see how that will work, however it was a good idea :)