STP 1 Modding; Marzocchi Drop Off Comp... OEM? Price?

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
Heya folks. I'm looking at picking up a Giant STP 1 soon and I'm trying to plum out what parts to switch out on it so I can get a deal worked out.

I'm considering swapping the fork for a through-axle jobbie, but I think the fork (Drop Off Comp) is OEM, so I dunno if the shop'll be too cool with the idea. I know, I should speak to them about it, and I will, but I'm curious if anyone has any idea about how much these forks might be worth.

Cheers.

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
Yeah, no doubt about swapping the pedals. I'm prolly gonna swap over some A-frames or whatever they're called... the Azonic's.

Another major priority is the chainring setup. I'm still not sure about that one. I definitely want a bigger cring than a 32 (what's up with this 22-32-bashguard bullshit? I'm getting sick of seeing it on every frikkin new hard-hitter bike), but I dunno if I should go something like an Evil DRS or just stick with a single 36. I definitely know that I wanna keep it all black if I can though. I love the full black, ninja stealth look of the bike. :twisted:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
bash guard for sure - evils are the way to go :evil:

MTB_SYCO

Likes Dirt
if you swap your chainrings bash guard and gears you can get an aireal chain device with 38T ring with $200 bucks in top maybe a bit cheaper than that so you save about $80 for the bashguard and chainring with installation thats what i did with my sassy, (by the way i second that 22T,32T bs is stucks big time)

tu plang

knob
ajay said:
about $800. - i think
id be very surprised if that was correct. the z1 drop off IIs are less then that (i think, or around that mark). id say these ones would be around the 600 mark maybe 700 max in value from a stores point of view, but given they may have trouble finding a buyer for them they may work on an even smaller value when making a deal.

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
children, the 22\32\bash cranksets are called the 'northshore' setup. put in place due to rider demand. its a great idea and concept- for the style of riding. u can also quite easily get 28\38\bash setups too.

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
Thank you for your condescending tone, Manny.

If the whole world was built on the great and fabled North Shore I'm sure it would be a fantastic idea to spec every freaking new bike under the sun with this setup. And by the way, which bikes can you buy off the shelf with a 28,38,bashguard setup?

spuddy

Likes Dirt
bassmonkey said:

If the whole world was built on the great and fabled North Shore I'm sure it would be a great idea to spec every freaking new bike under the sun with this setup.
Chill Winston!

Im going for a 40t/bash setup on my stuff soon enough, as i too am sick of this 22/32 thingo, too low for my street riding. Not sure what riding you will be doing though, but i'd guess not up hills? If not, ditch that granny mofo!

tu plang

knob
bassmonkey said:

If the whole world was built on the great and fabled North Shore I'm sure it would be a fantastic idea to spec every freaking new bike under the sun with this setup. And by the way, which bikes can you buy off the shelf with a 28,38,bashguard setup?
but then how can all our little friends run around on their "norco shores" :roll: being madcore and such.

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
Yo Spud, I'm never anything but chill 8)

I probably will be riding the rig up the occasional hill, so that's why I'm thinking about keeping a granny on with an Evil DRS. I'm really having a hard time deciding whether to do that or just go for a single 36t.

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok bitches, im gonna NYPD!!!

as spuddy said, chill winstons :wink:
..or i'll be forced to call nick the greek on all ur asses :lol:

rider demand wanted the northshore setup. its fine for all round. of cource it cant satify everyone. i know how much u guys like buying new gear and costomising, so buy some bigger chainrings. easy.
northshore ht's rock!!! :twisted: and people who about there owners are just jelous that we were able to buy one b4 they all sold out :lol:

Heya folks. I'm looking at picking up a Giant STP 1 soon and I'm trying to plum out what parts to switch out on it so I can get a deal worked out.
ive had a good look at the stp's. without knowing the wall thickness and a few other details, id say they wont actually hold up to that much stress.
generally speaking, sometimes it better look for a different bike if theres gonna be heap of parts to change about. serious.

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
go the drs with a 22t, its a great idea.

im a poorass student, so i use a dmr chainreactor. still works very well tho. have u considered em?

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
manny24 said:
ive had a good look at the stp's. without knowing the wall thickness and a few other details, id say they wont actually hold up to that much stress.
Yeah, I'll admit that I am slightly concerned that the frame hasn't been around long enough to know how long and how well it will hold up under battlefield conditions. I've had a very good look over it though and it seems like it's built like a kick-arse motherfucker to me.

manny24 said:
generally speaking, sometimes it better look for a different bike if theres gonna be heap of parts to change about. serious.
Well, pretty much any "off the shelf" hardtail I can think of would have a few changes I'd like to make for my ideal ride. It's so much more expensive to build up a frame fully custom though, and the STP's are pretty much bargain priced, so it's cheaper to just do the switcheroo on a few things here and there. Even as a stock bike it's pretty rad and is great value for your buxors.

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good point, very good point.

most bikes will have a crappy pedals and a downgraded fork eh :roll:

i gotta norco manik, with those overkill 6' TC dropoff's. i swap them for DJ3's, and had $250 bucks off the price of the bike as well!!! :lol:

the stp is a great valur ride, go for it

Rik

logged out
Those forks won't have a huge amount of value, since they're OEM, made in Taiwan, whereas aftermarket gear is made in Italy still.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
$500 or less for forks. Heck, i wouldnt pay over $300. Other parts-wise, id change pedals, bars, stem and chuck on a nice chain device.

tu plang

knob
manny24 said:
ok bitches, im gonna NYPD!!!

as spuddy said, chill winstons :wink:
..or i'll be forced to call nick the greek on all ur asses :lol:

rider demand wanted the northshore setup. its fine for all round. of cource it cant satify everyone. i know how much u guys like buying new gear and costomising, so buy some bigger chainrings. easy.
northshore ht's rock!!! :twisted: and people who about there owners are just jelous that we were able to buy one b4 they all sold out :lol:

oh god, its mr cyborg coming out of his shell again, with his visual structure analysis. :roll:

im not saying they are going to to be strong or weak, and frankly i dont care, but dont try and pass judgement without them being off the shelfs for a decent amount of time.

just because it doesnt weigh a tonne like the norco hardtails doesnt mean its not strong.

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
once again, u have proved to us that ur full of shit tu plang :roll:

u said:
i already said:
but dont try and pass judgement without them being off the shelfs for a decent amount of time.
frankly, alot of us are sick of bullshit mate.

this topic was actuactlly productive untill ur last post