Stripes

HAKS

Likes Bikes
As far as wearing team kit in public, I have some team replica stuff - why? It was cheaper. It's hard to find quality, plain gear (like Assos or Santin) that isn't super-expensive. Yet you can almost always find cheap team kits - often well cut with a decent chamois.

I wish I could have a wardrobe full of all plain black Assos gear but at my pricepoint, it's not going to happen...
+1. What keeps me buying team gear is the price compared to other items.

+1 to all the team gear out in Cbr over the weekend as well. Saw plenty of FDJ jerseys on my ride this morning, they seem very popular.

One jersey I am waiting to get for example is the Garmin 2010. Why? a) I've always used & supported Garmin products in general (I work in the GPS field) and b) I support the team therefore i am happy to wear their kit and publicise their product.

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
absolutely not, they are great in the rain and great when its really hot

you should try one
+1

the things are essential for me who sweats too much and all too often has too much hair. i make a point of not wearing the thing without a helmet over it though. (having a not sunburnt head is fucking awesome too!)

as is mostly said, i couldnt give a rats about WC stripes on bits (both my litespeed and my colnago have stripes on them somewhere) and i wear a campag hat, so that happens to have stripes. im not a fan of team or WC jerseys or anything though, im either in a beer top, my shops jersey or all black kit (great for winter)

OT

Likes Dirt
You can find UNO jersey's for $10 on the web with a tiny logo on it, the money you save can go towards some assos bibs. I'm sure there is other cheap gear thats not team kit.

In the end we all look like knobs in our tight lycra, so who cares really? The main thing for me is comfort and wearing colours that can easily be seen by drivers.

dresch

Likes Bikes
You pinheads.

If I want to slide my 115kg frame into the polka dot jersey and go for a ride on Sunday, I'll fucking do it with gay abandon.

Melride

Squid
Wear whatever you like

Go ahead and wear whatever you like, stripes, polka dots... yellow, pink... whatever.:cool:
during your training or weekend ride.

Just don't do it while racing.... at any level:mad:

NCR600

Likes Dirt
You pinheads.

If I want to slide my 115kg frame into the polka dot jersey and go for a ride on Sunday, I'll fucking do it with gay abandon.
I think this is the best post that has ever been on Farkin.

I once gave a mate a pair of polka dot under daks with "Marco UnderPantani" written in texta on the back for nailing the climb out of Anderson's on a 20 Rothman's a day durry habit.

Was that ok?

Binaural

Eats Squid
You pinheads.

Correct answer! I have a silly old roadie hat with stripes on that a bike shop gave me as a joke when I bought a frame off them, I rather feel like dusting it off now.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks. Still clear as mud, But a slightly more watered-down mud. :)

I'll wear my obscure Euro team kit with plenty of abandon.

akashra

Eats Squid
About three weeks ago we had a discussion about cyclists wearing stripes they hadn't earned. Completely by coincidence, as I was leading the bunch up a hill I passed a tri-wad wearing full WC knicks and jersey/stripes, he didn't quite understand the sword polishing motion I gave to him, but everyone else in the bunch had a good laugh.

Honestly, it's a cockhead thing to do. If you haven't earned the stripes, you don't wear them, it's that simple. I can have a bit of sympathy and leighweigh for, say, an XC or TT or CX champion wearing them on the roads - at least you've earned them in *some discipline*. I can even look past if you've not been the national champion but have been selected to ride on the national team, and can look past you wearing them when you're not the current champion (when you're only entitled to wear stripes on sleves).

But other than that, just don't do it. It's not cool.

Stripes on a frame on the other hand are fine, as many are sold that way. But don't add them to a frame that didn't come that way.

As for doing it while racing, don't worry - that's against the rules and carries a fine.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Obviously there's enough demand for it for Sock Guy to sell WC striped socks in both black and white...

alexb618

Likes Dirt
most cyclists know that wearing a WC jersey is pathetic as the only people you ever see in them are complete hubbards and fat blokes anyway

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
About three weeks ago we had a discussion about cyclists wearing stripes they hadn't earned. Completely by coincidence, as I was leading the bunch up a hill I passed a tri-wad wearing full WC knicks and jersey/stripes, he didn't quite understand the sword polishing motion I gave to him, but everyone else in the bunch had a good laugh.QUOTE]

As a mountainbiker who is considering delving into the sordid world of road riding it concerns me a bit that this sort of behaviour takes place. I must admit that I know nothing about road riding etiquette but I understand that in road riding, like any sport, there are certain do's and dont's which should be adhered to. I'd have thought that wearing WC kit, whilst being a bit of a noob thing to do, wouldn't have caused such distain amongst the more experienced riders and certainly shouldn't warrant people mocking another rider for his/her choice of kit. At least the guy's out there enjoying his chosen sport and by being laughed at by a bunch of other riders I'm sure his level of enjoyment and confidence has lessened and he'll think twice before waving at the next bunch of riders he passes.

OT

Likes Dirt
About three weeks ago we had a discussion about cyclists wearing stripes they hadn't earned. Completely by coincidence, as I was leading the bunch up a hill I passed a tri-wad wearing full WC knicks and jersey/stripes, he didn't quite understand the sword polishing motion I gave to him, but everyone else in the bunch had a good laugh.QUOTE]

As a mountainbiker who is considering delving into the sordid world of road riding it concerns me a bit that this sort of behaviour takes place. I must admit that I know nothing about road riding etiquette but I understand that in road riding, like any sport, there are certain do's and dont's which should be adhered to. I'd have thought that wearing WC kit, whilst being a bit of a noob thing to do, wouldn't have caused such distain amongst the more experienced riders and certainly shouldn't warrant people mocking another rider for his/her choice of kit. At least the guy's out there enjoying his chosen sport and by being laughed at by a bunch of other riders I'm sure his level of enjoyment and confidence has lessened and he'll think twice before waving at the next bunch of riders he passes.
Don't worry it's only a minority that behave like this. What you wear doesn't indicate whether your a "cockhead" or not but your actions and words do.

floody

Wheel size expert
About three weeks ago we had a discussion about cyclists wearing stripes they hadn't earned. Completely by coincidence, as I was leading the bunch up a hill I passed a tri-wad wearing full WC knicks and jersey/stripes, he didn't quite understand the sword polishing motion I gave to him, but everyone else in the bunch had a good laugh.

Honestly, it's a cockhead thing to do. If you haven't earned the stripes, you don't wear them, it's that simple. I can have a bit of sympathy and leighweigh for, say, an XC or TT or CX champion wearing them on the roads - at least you've earned them in *some discipline*. I can even look past if you've not been the national champion but have been selected to ride on the national team, and can look past you wearing them when you're not the current champion (when you're only entitled to wear stripes on sleves).

But other than that, just don't do it. It's not cool.

Stripes on a frame on the other hand are fine, as many are sold that way. But don't add them to a frame that didn't come that way.

As for doing it while racing, don't worry - that's against the rules and carries a fine.
I'm only seeing one cockhead in this picture, and they aren't wearing stripes.

scblack

Leucocholic
I find it a little difficult to understand the animosity here. While I of course appreciate people have to earn the right to wear national jersey, how is that different from buying a Wallabies jumper down at Rebel Sport, to wear during footy training? Thats not being a wanker in any way shape or form.

World Champion stripes may be different, but wearing national jerseys in other sports is not an issue.

Why is it such an issue for cyclists alone?

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Personally, given how crap I am on hills I could see a faintly amusing side to riding around in a "King of the Mountain" jersey (although I don't).

Not fussed if folks want ot wear corporate national/team jerseys but to me, the stripes are something you earn the right to be able to wear on your jersey forever afterwards. Feels similar to if someone was to show up on ANZAC Day with a VC pinned to their shirt.

All personal opinion I guess

HAKS

Likes Bikes
^^ exactly. As I've said team kit doesn't bother me, that I relate to wearing a footy jersey etc. Would you wear a fake olympic medal around your neck? Well I think the WC is in the same bucket of fish. 2c

alexb618

Likes Dirt
i like the olympic medal comparison

like i said before, the people in WC/KOM/etc jerseys generally would have no idea what it means anyway, so whatever, but i dont know that i would perform a wanking gesture toward them, or even mention it to anyone i was riding with...??? i do think its a bit disrespectful but what are you gonna do, tell them to take it off? the people wearing this stuff wouldnt even know what you are on about.

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is just like wearing a pro tour kit, yeah you can support your "Pro Team" but dont wear it to a race.
Re Stripes/champ kits:
I dont see why people are not in support of wearing them, you earnt them so wear your countries colours same with the stripes its a privlage to wear them.
most cyclists know that wearing a WC jersey is pathetic as the only people you ever see in them are complete hubbards and fat blokes anyway
Oh but thats what all cyclists are anyway.