Stromlo DH track

onedollarodent

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Just came back from a day tripper to Stromlo, and was wondering why the gates for all the best airborne stunts on the track are all closed?

Whats the policy?

Carl

Plow King

Little bit.
Hey guys,

Just came back from a day tripper to Stromlo, and was wondering why the gates for all the best airborne stunts on the track are all closed?

Whats the policy?

Carl
I'm assuming its so people don't get hurt. Atleast if people crash on race days there will be people there to help them. I've never been there but I hear the wind can get abit off putting, especially in the air.

dhd

Downhill Direct
Pretty sure it has something to do with liability insurance....
Were you out there yesterday? Lot of people doing runs then!

onedollarodent

Likes Dirt
I see, so protecting the riders. Fair enough then

Yeah, we were there yesterday most of the morning and early arvo. Was a great day out and has left me with a few questions about how to really pin some sections of the track.

The first rock step section (taking the A line after like 3 corners)... How do pinners hit this? I noticed that theres a sort of rough landing that's been made on the left, but havent seen any tyre marks or anyone hitting it that way.

Second, how are people hitting the water bar sections at the end. Plowing or doubling? I wasnt able to double them because the gaps are way out of consistency and not big enough to have a nice transfer. Or have pinners been rhythming them???

kezzaM

Likes Dirt
Second, how are people hitting the water bar sections at the end. Plowing or doubling? I wasnt able to double them because the gaps are way out of consistency and not big enough to have a nice transfer. Or have pinners been rhythming them???
You can double the second one out of the right hand corner. Good fun and gives you heaps of speed.

onedollarodent

Likes Dirt
That might be what i'm thinking of? :D
Yeh it sounds right... as you come out of the right hander, there are 3 water bars, you skip the first 2 on the left and hit the last into the corner

At least, thats the best combination i could come up with

peanut

Likes Dirt
I see, so protecting the riders. Fair enough then

The first rock step section (taking the A line after like 3 corners)... How do pinners hit this? I noticed that theres a sort of rough landing that's been made on the left, but havent seen any tyre marks or anyone hitting it that way.
Most of the faster riders jump the first rock steps thingo and land on the left where you were looking. If you have a copy or have seen compression there was some footage of bryn doing exactly this to give you an idea.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Some of the stuff that is blocked off seems a bit rediculous to me. There are certainly some sections that make sense to block from a liability point of view, but others points should be open. Last time I was there, one section of blocked track was a fairly small drop to a nice transition with a long, straight, not too steep run out. However, the jump which follows which is half way between a camel and a double is open. Yet it has a lot more potential to go horribly wrong if it isn't landed cleanly. Also, blocking the drop prevents riders getting enough speed to clear the double. The idea might be that it will deter riders from doing the double, but that sounds like a strange way to do it to me. At one point i think the drop had a nasty kick on it but since then it has been smoothed out.

Similairly, other features that are blocked are no more dangerous than features found in other legal downhill trails I have been to.

Anyone know the selection criteria behind the various sections that are blocked?

onedollarodent

Likes Dirt
Most of the faster riders jump the first rock steps thingo and land on the left where you were looking. If you have a copy or have seen compression there was some footage of bryn doing exactly this to give you an idea.
This is exactly what I want to see done. Does anyone have a link to this segment?

Thanks heaps Peanut, this has been buggin me since Sunday

downhillerBen

Likes Dirt
Hey just wondering hows the DH track going, i was out there last August with my mate and will hopefully be out with another 3 mates these school hols if all goes well, (we camp there), and also hows the MTNX track going ?

gasman

Likes Dirt
gates at stromlo

yes there are b lines around the gates.

g 20 is gated for obvious punter reasons
drop is gated cos when the wind gets up the landing can get quite sketch and it prevents 'punters' from axing themselves on the next double
hip is gated for obvious punter reasons
road gap is gated for obvious punter reasons, just hammer through the rocks and you can still hit the double after the gap anyway

just friend up someone who has a key and there is no issues hitting them up.

U just gotta know the key holders, outside of races, not that it matters with the track beeing re-done very very very soon anyway

Last edited:

onedollarodent

Likes Dirt
Anyone riding Stromlo this Saturday?

Would be keen to meet up with some of the locals and going for a ride
(shuttle vehicle required)

Carl