Stromlo with kids? (And the wife)

lewis84 lewis84

Likes Dirt
Instead of a 30th party I've decided to take 7 days annual leave, and rather than sit at home for 3 weeks I've booked us 5 nights accommodation in Canberra. I'd like to ride stromlo with my boys and am just wondering what to expect? They are 5 and 8, both confident on single trail and both on MTB. Also is there anywhere my wife and 3 year old girl will be able to roll around? We are thinking they can come out until lunch, then head back to do girly stuff and we will ride back to Canberra at the end of the day (we are stating at the Ibis in Narrabundah, no idea where that is in relation to stromlo?) Any tips or advice from those who are local or who have ridden it with kids would be very much appreciated.
Cheers, Chris

Last edited:

doihoi

Likes Dirt
Hi Chris,

This link http://www.stromloforestpark.com.au/ may help you out
Where you and your family is staying is about 20KM from Stromlo - so about 20 mins drive give or take

I believe there's dedicate areas for kids to ride around and I've also seen parents take their kids at the start of the trials, cruising around with little jumps

Hope that helps!!

Cypher

Likes Dirt
You'll love it. Your boys will love it.

There is an easy and short loop down the bottom for low skilled riders. Also at the bottom there is a skills area where you and the boys can try some skinnys a (and some not so skinnys)

The hill will probably be a bit too much for the little bloke. However you can drive up to the top where the observatory is, have a cup of tea at the cafe, look at the space stuff then you and the boys can ride down the hill.

Be warned: they may expect to be dropped off at the top of every hill to ride down ;)

Awesome adventure :)

Kowen Forest has a short loop of about 4km if you want to have a go at another location

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Talking mum into running shuttles is the way to go, she could even do a couple of runs with the boys :)

lewis84 lewis84

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info! They are pretty excited and talking mum into shuttles won't be a problem. I presume we can grab a feed at the cafe as well? Looks like it's a top spot, the boys have spent some time on YouTube and are pretty excited about "the playground". I figure this will be a good spot to kick around with mum if I want to head off and do a few of the trails on my own, I can see them riding that stuff for hours! Does it get busy during school holidays?
Cheers, Chris

DJR

Likes Dirt
You dont even need shuttles to get to the playground, its right near the car park off to the left as you look up the hill. Dunno about school holidays. I wish my 5 & 7 year olds could deal with singletrack. Some of the stuff towards the top may be a little steep/rough for them but plenty of warning/trail grading for features, b-lines and that kinda thing.

There is a small fenced area near the car park where the smaller ones can ride around on a track, with a small picnic area, showers and toilets nearby so there is certainly stuff to do for the little ones.

lewis84 lewis84

Likes Dirt
You dont even need shuttles to get to the playground, its right near the car park off to the left as you look up the hill. Dunno about school holidays. I wish my 5 & 7 year olds could deal with singletrack. Some of the stuff towards the top may be a little steep/rough for them but plenty of warning/trail grading for features, b-lines and that kinda thing.

There is a small fenced area near the car park where the smaller ones can ride around on a track, with a small picnic area, showers and toilets nearby so there is certainly stuff to do for the little ones.
Great info! Thanks heaps mate
Cheers, Chris