strong, light, quality build

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
Nah 18 or so psi feels good for me. I probably weigh from like 60-70kgs? It just seems to stick! Though if jumps are involved I usually ramp it up a few. But still never ever had an issue with it. I learnt to ride on a hardtail first, so I try and avoid anything that's going to kick me about!
I also use like a brand new Joe Blow 2 hand pump or something. Always done them the same and they feel the same, so I assume it's around the 18 mark.

What he's saying is that the spokes move to absorb some of the bump. So it's not all super stiff!

If I get a wheelset for tubeless, do I have to use it for that? Or can I just run a tube? I know I've heard of people doing their own dodgy thing for non-tubeless wheelsets to make them tubeless. But can you do it the other way? I really don't know the difference that much between them!

T-Rex

Template denier
Also I'm not sure if this is accurate. But I just weighed the maxxis tubes and the ones I'm usually run and well..
Maxxis was at 680grams.
My normal ones were at 110grams.

If it's actually right. I'm saving 1kg in tubes already..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/airwave-mtb-tube-super-value-10-pack/rp-prod78326
These are what I use ^ because they're just so cheap and seem to work!
Those Airwaves tubes are fine, I've used them myself. You can use them in a 823, or any other UST rim, I've done it many times after ripping a hole in the sidewall of an otherwise ok tyre.

I think you need to check your measurements a bit more carefully. A Maxxis DH tube is 400g, 110g would be a super thin XC race tube. And I wouldn't believe the gauge on a pump, I have two Lezene pumps, very high quality pumps, and the gauges on both are wrong. Get yourself a decent digital tyre guage if you want to know what pressures you are really running.

Puppet Master

Likes Dirt
You can use tubes with a tubeless rim.

As for tubelss rims that are 550g or less.... ENVE...464g and they are very very stiff laterally, but do a really good job of dampening trail chatter. I rode a set of the AM 650b Enves built onto Hope hubs on a Tracer at one of the local DH tracks, very impressed... you can also run very high spoke tensions with them (which is why they are laterally stiff) which means you should only get a good wheelbuilder to do it... not sure I could justify the price though!!! Upwards of $3K for a wheelset. Also Mavic EN821 is around 450g for a UST... not strictly speaking a DH for of an AM, but if you don't get punctures or damage rims at 18 psi then you might be able to get away with it.

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
Hahaha. Well the scales were $2 off of eBay ;) so I'm blaming China for that. I'd seemed a bit much! Well I always do it at different places. My pump is usually the main one, but it always feels the same. So it'd be around 18 at least

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
Hmm. Hopefully I've been a good boy this year and Santy Claus will bring me them. I really couldn't buy something that expensive for my bike. I'd probably just manage to break it first run anyway somehow.. :/

So I've also figured that no matter how light my wheelset is, I'm going to be running roughly 2kgs in tyres anyway.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Yeah no way can I justify enve.

My ideal rim is
32mm external width
UST
550grams

Someone build one I can't find any. :)

As for your psi that is still super low.
I'm lighter than yourself and as mentioned previously I can get away with about 25ish on timid trails, on my rough trails I need to run 32+ to prevent pinch flats.

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
Maybe if they sponsor me I'll be riding on them..

I just want some that last a while. I like wider rims though. They make the tyre just seem heaps fatter! and I don't have to true them as often from sideways landing.. so it's a win win for me really!

I'm really surprised that no one else runs something like it? The only time I've ever pinched a tube was with a kmart one and I was using the other end of a knife to get the tyre on my rim and pinched it. I think I'm just lucky every ride or something. I used to run less way back in the day on my first dirt jumper. Was so hectic because every time I landed, I would bounce. I really had no control, and no idea what I was doing back then though. I would just sort of huck it and hope for the best. I remember ever riding it around for a while with a snapped rear axle.

driftking

Wheel size expert
To be honest those low pressures will be hurting grip It will let the tire skirm under hard riding. Its going to dramatically slow down your rolling speed and it will increase pinch flats and there in by increase rim damage from hitting them.

It seems really odd. Not to be harsh but there are only three things that can be happening.
1.Your readings are wrong
2.your not feeling the bike very well
3.your not riding very fast or rough (this is the harsh one, but its an option)

As for the spokes there is no reason to run looser spokes to help the rim absorb that's not the rims job. The rim needs to be tensioned properly to keep the wheel true and do its job. The tires and suspension are there for absorbing and taking abuse/ working with terrain to maximize grip and take hits.
Some rims are softer and you can feel them bend mostly in corners, but the spoke tension should always be right not loose.

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
I remember pinkbike's interview with one of the main men at mavic. He stated that the deemax is designed to ding somewhat to absorb deflection from rocks and keep your line. I wouldn't say they made from Nokias given they are designed to be softer.
Silver Deemax aren't. The year after were, these aren't designed to dint. My front rim is a dt5.1 and that dints like it's made of cheese but the deemax was able to pinch flat my maxis downhill tube (they weigh 1 kg) so badly that all the air came out within a second and it has no dints at all. Plus the rim wall is like 3mm thick, that isn't going to dint

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
I knew number three would arise sooner or later ;) I'm no Sam Hill, but I'm not a bloke that's only started to ride. If I wasn't going fast or rough, I'd just go in to Anaconda and buy one of their wheelsets. Hence why I want something to last a while..
I'm still pretty sure it's 18psi though. I've never really rode much more on trails. I've gone with 60psi in my street tyres before and that was scary on a trail with loose rocks everywhere. Just slipping everywhere! aha

driftking

Wheel size expert
I knew number three would arise sooner or later ;) I'm no Sam Hill, but I'm not a bloke that's only started to ride. If I wasn't going fast or rough, I'd just go in to Anaconda and buy one of their wheelsets. Hence why I want something to last a while..
I'm still pretty sure it's 18psi though. I've never really rode much more on trails. I've gone with 60psi in my street tyres before and that was scary on a trail with loose rocks everywhere. Just slipping everywhere! aha
I didn't want to bring it up, it always sounds tight and elitist but gotta cover all options lol.

At the end of the day if that's the pressure that works for you go for it. I'd test it up to 23 at least and see how it feels. The rolling speed you get it pretty big difference and worth testing some pressures.

Yeah stuff riding trails at 60psi.
I don't even like running 35 when I have too because it skids around. But bit of drifting is better than pinch flat.

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
Yeah well that's true. Everyone is different with their riding setups!

You roll sooooo much faster at that pressure though. You just have no traction.. even less on street tyres. It's pretty good fun though. Keeps you on your toes!

driftking

Wheel size expert
Maybe you need to revist your suspension?

Sounds like your running super low pressure to compensate for something amiss elsewhere.

Don't you ever hit rims running low pressures?

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty precise with my suspension set up. Like I'll fiddle around with it for ages until I'm completely happy. At the moment I'm not really happy with the rear shock. Feels like something is missing with it. But the Totems are sick! I can't really tell with the rear shock though because I'm more of a hardtail guy.
And yeah because of the hardtail, I miss things that are going to kick me a bit. So I make the ride as smooth as I can. But I've never heard or felt anything hit the rim.

Within saying all that, it could be all wrong though..

Last edited: