stuck bb

bazza

look at me
my bb is not budging and im about to tear it to pieces. so i was just checking which direction to turn it, its not budging either way no matter how much force i put on it. its a race face bb on the drive train side. anyone know which way???

beast

Likes Bikes
If your tool is slipping on the bracket you have to find some way to fasten it on (if the bb is holow maybe an old wheel axel through the whole lot fastend down with wheelnuts) If it is really seized soak the whole thing overnight in coca cola and have another go in the morning

roostn247

Likes Dirt
I know that this sound gay, but if you remeber this, you will always have dramas:

LEFTY LOOSY Counter Clockwise to loosen

RIGHTY TIGHTY Clockwise to tighten

bazza

look at me
yep but it can be different with things like bb's. thanks anyway though. im leaving in the morning to cairns so i dont really have time to soak it......the wheel axel idea sounds good though. the whole outside of the gripping bit is screwed now..... but oh well i will just leave the shitty chain guide on and hope for the best. thanks anyway beast!

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
boil the kettle. Pore the boiling water on the bottom bracket (the alloy will expand and leave the steal bb cup nice and loose)

Dunno what happens if the bb cup is alloy too :)

hardtail hero

Likes Bikes
bb is left hand thread, but i remember it by the pedals: left is left hand thread (from riding pos) and the bb is opposite.

beast

Likes Bikes
for a standard english thread bb, drive side is left hand thred (that means it tightens to the left and loosens to the right) and the non drive side is right hand thread (that means it tightens to the right and loosens to the left), to add to what i said before once you have fastend the tool to the bb you can use a large lever (ie scafold pole) to turn the tool.

bazza

look at me
yeah fastening it is the most imporant thing. i couldnt find anything so its the shitty chainguide for cairns.

Tankass

Likes Dirt
spray some wd40 or GT85.secure the bb tool firmy onto the bb cup.
always remember
drive side tighten = counter clock wise .loosen = clock wise.
invert ur bike,use more force and strenght.i got such issues b4 as well.but still managed to loosen it in the end.took me an hr of constant forcing which seem so pathetic.

Murf

Likes Dirt
im not sure wich way it turns but i took my mates out of his bike with a rattle gun cause we couldnt do it by hand.

jaebo

Likes Dirt
before you go and screw your bottom bracket.

you should go and get yourself an 'impact driver' from an auto shop.
these things are designed to release seized on bolts and stuff like that.
i've never had a problem releasing a bb with one of these.just make sure it's set to turn the right way upon impact.

Cazza

Squid
On my old bike i couldnt get the the bb out.
So after trying for weeks and breaking some shimano tools on it and still not getting it to move at all i got a friend to weld a pipe onto the face where the tool would go. Then i got it off with a massive pair of stillsons (the bb was stuffed so id didnt really matter)
I wouldnt sugest this though

jaebo

Likes Dirt
ok, for people who don't read threads,
an impact driver is a tool designed to 'crack' a seized on bolt, nut, bb, whatever.....it can get off pretty much anythihng.
cracking a seal, means it releases the pressure on the seized part.
so, in this case, the bb is seized to the frame...probably from poor maintenance.
how does it release?
inside the magic of an impact driver is a ball bearing and spring. it is designed so that when you hit directly on top of the tool, it twists...
(instead of using a wrench and bb tool, which gives uneven leverage, and slips off eveytime, when you're trying to remove a seized part).
so if it's the drive side you set it to twist right.
attach the bb tool to the impact driver. put the tool in the bb, and then hit it with a hammer.
as it hits, the spring compresses and forces the tool to twist to the right. giving it direct and even presure over the bb. (and no slippage).
this should crack the seal.
then remove it as per usual.

an impact driver will cost about $45 from an auto shop...
and most bike stores should have one.

if you still don't understand pm me, and i'll try and explain better