Stuck Cassette

hakka

Likes Dirt
I have a wheelset that i removed from my Anthem, never used, been sitting in the shed for a few months. Apparently the incredible hulk has a job doing up cassettes at Giant.

I've tried pipe on the spanner, hammer, swearing. Bent my chainwhip and still no luck.

How do I get this fucker off?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Add some penetrating oil then hit with impact driver? Whats the size of the socket required to fit over the cassette tool?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You tried to tag team it? Maybe even a 3 way...
P1: chainwhip + pipe...lots of pipe or old seat post etc.
P2: cassette tool + pipe etc as above.
P3: holds the wheel. They may also hold the tools in place, which is pretty dangerous. But nobody wants the tools to pop put of place.

P1 and P2 would stand opposite each other and get their power game on...perhaps even stand a foot on the tool and push down.

If you have bent your chain whip get an old chain and put it in a vice. Hang cassette in chain and then pipe on cassette tool. This did the trick for me when everything else had failed. Good luck.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

John U

MTB Precision
You tried to tag team it? Maybe even a 3 way...
P1: chainwhip + pipe...lots of pipe or old seat post etc.
P2: cassette tool + pipe etc as above.
P3: holds the wheel. They may also hold the tools in place, which is pretty dangerous. But nobody wants the tools to pop put of place.

P1 and P2 would stand opposite each other and get their power game on...perhaps even stand a foot on the tool and push down.
P4 with flame thrower
P5 with tank of liquid nitrogen (Termiator 2 style)

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
penetrating spray, a length of chain and a bench vice.
The vice will free up your other hand so you can put more force into the breaker bar.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Add some penetrating oil then hit with impact driver? Whats the size of the socket required to fit over the cassette tool?
Will accept 1/2 " internally. That would be most rattle guns wouldn't it?

hakka

Likes Dirt
penetrating spray, a length of chain and a bench vice.
The vice will free up your other hand so you can put more force into the breaker bar.
Got the bastard off.

Pipe was about 1 meter long, pulled on it so hard lifted one end of the workbench up and all my other shit on the bench went everywhere. Next job on my list, bolt the workbench to the floor.

Thanks everyone.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Damn, didn't even get the popcorn machine warmed up.

So giant have their mix ratio of grease to loctite wrong?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Rubber mallet and tap (not thump) the cassette around the bigger cogs, this can loosen the grip on the cassette. Some loosing product can help also, Wurth Rost Off is the best shit for loosing anything.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No grease at all. Which has me thinking, i should strip the rest of that bike down before the whole thing siezes together.
Yes...last giant I had was a similar story.

Rubber mallet and tap (not thump) the cassette around the bigger cogs, this can loosen the grip on the cassette. Some loosing product can help also, Wurth Rost Off is the best shit for loosing anything.
Better than amyl?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Best stuff I can get for free anyway. Can free a stuck seatpost after 2 applications as if it was the wrong size...