Stuck seat post - with a twist!

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
You can make a poor mans slide hammer with some threaded rod, nuts washers, something heavy with a hole in it or some thick steel bar with a hole drilled in it.

You want some penny washers that just fit in the top of the seat tube and they will need a hole in the centre a bit bigger than the threaded rod. You then have to grind two sides off the penny washers so they will slide though the post when angled.

So, put two nuts on the threaded rod, sit one or two small washers on top of the nut and put it in to the frame.

Then get your now oval penny washers(2 for safety) and insert them at an angle down the rod and through the seat tube, slide your heavy plate down then put a washer or two on top and a couple of nuts locked on the shaft.

If that all works/makes sense start sliding the plate up to hammer it out, you could also use it as a puller by putting some big washers over the top of the seat tube, then run a nut down and put two loced at the top so you can hold them with a spanner while you wind the other one.

Should be able make it for ~$10 if you have a bolt shop nearby, or $100 and a dry fist if you go to Bunnings.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
You can make a poor mans slide hammer with some threaded rod, nuts washers, something heavy with a hole in it or some thick steel bar with a hole drilled in it.

You want some penny washers that just fit in the top of the seat tube and they will need a hole in the centre a bit bigger than the threaded rod. You then have to grind two sides off the penny washers so they will slide though the post when angled.

So, put two nuts on the threaded rod, sit one or two small washers on top of the nut and put it in to the frame.

Then get your now oval penny washers(2 for safety) and insert them at an angle down the rod and through the seat tube, slide your heavy plate down then put a washer or two on top and a couple of nuts locked on the shaft.

If that all works/makes sense start sliding the plate up to hammer it out, you could also use it as a puller by putting some big washers over the top of the seat tube, then run a nut down and put two loced at the top so you can hold them with a spanner while you wind the other one.

Should be able make it for ~$10 if you have a bolt shop nearby, or $100 and a dry fist if you go to Bunnings.
you could fashion a tool similar to this with a section of threaded rod up the guts to shunt it back out
RT-2_005.jpg

stirk

Burner
Haven't you tried the vagjuice i recommended yet? A deeply stiff post will eventually come out with enough time in vagjuice.

MARKL and his sliding hammer comes a close second.

Does the bb have a 'factory' drain hole yet larger enough to get a small drift into?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Haven't you tried the vagjuice i recommended yet? A deeply stiff post will eventually come out with enough time in vagjuice.

MARKL and his sliding hammer comes a close second.

Does the bb have a 'factory' drain hole yet larger enough to get a small drift into?
I have a supply issue of vag-juice. Should i post up aa wanted advert? All Burners...please send me some vag-juice? This could be pretty messy.

I can barely get my pinkie into the hole in bottom bracket.

A device like the headset popper would be handy. I did consider dropping some of my BIG arse fish hooks on on heavy duty line and attempting a slow draw.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This really is all too much trouble (but serious points for the home made penny washer system). Ram the thing home as deep as it will go, it's now a frame reinforcement. Insert seatpost of choice, cut to suit if necessary. Get on with life.

stirk

Burner
So how stuck does a post need to be for it to break into half leaving its bottom half still in the seat tube? This post has some serious attachment issues.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So how stuck does a post need to be for it to break into half leaving its bottom half still in the seat tube? This post has some serious attachment issues.
I'd be worried about rooting the frame as any sharp edges on the seatpost will gouge the frame on the way out

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This really is all too much trouble (but serious points for the home made penny washer system). Ram the thing home as deep as it will go, it's now a frame reinforcement. Insert seatpost of choice, cut to suit if necessary. Get on with life.
Ding ding ding

Disclose appropriately to the market and discount if need be. Now it's someone else's headache, if they decide they want it to be.