Stuck shock collar

Wolfgang D

Likes Dirt
Sorry for a probably fairly stupid question, but the collar in my DHX 3.0 is pretty well stuck!
I need to tighten it up a bit but can't. When I try and turn the spring, it just turns but the collar doesn't turn with it.
I figured if I loosen it right off and give the threading a good clean I should be able to go ahead and tighten it as much as I need, but even when loosening, same problem. spring rotates but collar doesnt. It's far too tight to turn by hand so I was wondering if theres a simpler, easier way to loosen/tighten the collar?
The shock is now out of my bike if it's easier to do externally?

thanks in advance

willsy01

Eats Squid
Turn the collar itself, not the spring. They are two separate parts that aren't connected......

Wolfgang D

Likes Dirt
yea. i get that part...
I'm saying that sometimes the spring has enough push on the colar that if you turn the spring it can turn the collar too.

In my case this doesnt work, the colar is way too tight to turn by hand and I don't want to damage it in my efforts.

How can I turn the colar? any tricks?

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yea. i get that part...
I'm saying that sometimes the spring has enough push on the colar that if you turn the spring it can turn the collar too.

In my case this doesnt work, the colar is way too tight to turn by hand and I don't want to damage it in my efforts.

How can I turn the colar? any tricks?
spray the crap out of it with lube, hopefully gets in the thread and helps is move easier, then put a rag on the collar and try again.
worked for me

markb84

Likes Dirt
Innertube and large slip joint pliers provide a good combination as well, the rubber of the inner tube provides grip and protection, a large set slip joint pliers will give you a decent hold of the lock ring.

moorey

call me Mia
Is it a knurled collar or notched one (if you get my drift)? If notched, a 'C' spanner used for the OLD BB shells might work. I have one, and you know where i am ;)

Wolfgang D

Likes Dirt
lubed it up this morning then when I came home from school attacked it with some brute force. success!! :clap2:
Gave the shock (and thread) a real good clean and was able to tighten it all up no troubles!
Thanks for the help!