Studley Park/Yarra Blvd trail booby traps

joe79

Likes Dirt
man, that's terrible. I've heard stories about this but have been lucky enough not to experience it first hand yet. i've written to the council a few months back regarding yarra bend developments, but i'm not holding my breath.

Slightly off-topic, but there is one issue that pisses me off, that i've noticed a bit lately and that's riders dropping their gel wrappers. It's worst around the tap in ivanhoe, but i've found them all around the yarra trails. Considering the tenuous status of these trails, it's so frustrating knowing that there are a minority riders that don't give a shit, and are happy to piss off the public/parks vic. And the fact that it's energy gels, not chocolate bars, makes me think it's experienced riders, not beginners who don't know better.

Beej1

Slightly off-topic, but there is one issue that pisses me off, that i've noticed a bit lately and that's riders dropping their gel wrappers.
I've noticed this too. I've yet to catch anyone doing it however. It really isn't that hard to stick empties in yer pocket.

...as well as discussing the the Yarra Bend trails proposal that ALL OF YOU WHO LIVE IN THE AREA/USE THE TRAILS SHOULD HAVE SIGNED
I had heard about this, but wasn't aware there was a petition. Is it still active? I would be happy to lend support to any push towards opening up MTB access to these trails (from Chandler to Stud. Park Road anyway) Since once the Darebin Bridge (finally, eventually) gets built I plan to ride single track to/from work each day.

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I rode along the yarra trail in this section just before dusk on sunday night (22/3/2009), so the traps must have been planted on monday or tuesday.

As luck would have it, I got bitten by a dog as I rode past it on that ride. A brown poodle, off the lead. Barely broke the skin, but still...

Slightly off-topic, but there is one issue that pisses me off, that i've noticed a bit lately and that's riders dropping their gel wrappers. It's worst around the tap in ivanhoe, but i've found them all around the yarra trails. Considering the tenuous status of these trails, it's so frustrating knowing that there are a minority riders that don't give a shit, and are happy to piss off the public/parks vic. And the fact that it's energy gels, not chocolate bars, makes me think it's experienced riders, not beginners who don't know better.
Yes, have noticed the same thing and it's been grating away on me for a while now. Have just put a post in the XC/Enduro section requesting that guys start keeping their shit, and others, in check.

I've noticed this too. I've yet to catch anyone doing it however. It really isn't that hard to stick empties in yer pocket.
I had heard about this, but wasn't aware there was a petition. Is it still active? I would be happy to lend support to any push towards opening up MTB access to these trails (from Chandler to Stud. Park Road anyway) Since once the Darebin Bridge (finally, eventually) gets built I plan to ride single track to/from work each day.
Unfortunately official input closed a couple of months ago. Keep your eyes peel in the forums and I'll make sure that any feedback, input requests etc is put in a thread to keep everyone up to date on the progress of the proposal.

I rode along the yarra trail in this section just before dusk on sunday night (22/3/2009), so the traps must have been planted on monday or tuesday.

As luck would have it, I got bitten by a dog as I rode past it on that ride. A brown poodle, off the lead. Barely broke the skin, but still...
Hiya Pete! Yeah unfortunately I suspect that it was done last night (24/3) as I actually rode that section at lunchtime yesterday and it definitely wasn't there then. Glad you're ok after your run in with that poodle, but yes, uncool that it was off lead and attacked you.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
Attacked by golfers

...I was riding this area, some years ago now, on a track on the Sth side of the river below Yarra Blvd and opposite the Yarra Bend Golf course...A golf ball pinged off a flat rock beside my head...'oh well' I thought, ' a poor shot'...around the bend I got to the little jetty and had a stop while my dog jumped in the river...another golf ball ricocheted off the jetty and bounced off into the field...not a coincidence I though...an artillery attack by golfers!?!

I hope you sort these pricks putting you in danger...

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ride the roadie around the loop near Studley Park Boathouse a bit at lunchtime and nearly always there's a couple of blokes or more who sneak off into the bushes for whatever, and someone's pissed off at bikes FFS?????

I dunno, maybe it's those blokes who do the traps but somethings screwy when the area can get used as a beat, and WE get problems????

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
I ride the roadie around the loop near Studley Park Boathouse a bit at lunchtime and nearly always there's a couple of blokes or more who sneak off into the bushes for whatever, and someone's pissed off at bikes FFS?????

I dunno, maybe it's those blokes who do the traps but somethings screwy when the area can get used as a beat, and WE get problems????
...Well it is called STUDLEY Park...a screaming advertisement, for studley types...:p

Cptsamb

Squid
omg i cant belive ppl would do that...
reimindes me of when i was riding down a fire trail (legaly) and there was this old couple hiking up it, cos they were old my mate and i gave them some room but the old bloke jumped infront of us and told us young "Holigans" to slow down srlsy ppl liek that realy anoy me cos where ment to share the roads and trails.

I ride around the area a bit, and ride from ivanhoe out to bundoora and back each day along the creek trail. it could be cool/usefull if people post google maps links or markers where the traps were found? helps people work out exactly where to watch out, i have enough stacks from my own sillyness without getting destroyed by some <insert profanity here> lowlifes traps GOD DAMMIT :eek:

Gday All,
New to the forums yet have been riding for years.
Living just down the street from the Studley Park Golfcourse I mountainbike the Studley Park area a minimum of 3 times a week after school and am sure I might have seen many from the forums on the trails!

Let me just start of by saying that yes, i too have encountered many problems with trails in the area due to things such as booby trapping, closures and logs being put across trails. After countless and often hopeless attempts at getting the council to do something, I took matters into my own hands and rang up Parks Victoria.

I explained to them that many trails have been sealed off with wire and fencing (park victoria ranges job) aswell as many tracks have had excessive amounts of logs put over them as well as wire fences to stop riders from riding there and that after witnissing and almost experiencing some extremely ugly moments they need to come and clean up the area, as they claim that they manage and keep parks in pristine condition. Areas i referred to them, which have been mentioned in this forum are the areas near dightfalls such as under the kew loop and near the large statue.

I was told that these areas are patrolled on a regular basis etc..... always maintained to the highest standard blah blah blah. However, I pointed out to them that if they wanted to seal some trails off, seal them from the top rather than half way down. For example the few small downhills near dight falls had been sealed from halfway down with wire, imagine my suprise on almost hitting one as i tore down the trail! similarly other riders in the area i have talked too have said the same thing.

What has further disgusted me is that I was witness to a group of rangers and workers cutting down trees in the area and leaving them right in the middle of the trails and these trails aren't the windy single track type, rather large open fire trails which i see people walking on!!

After complaining at least 3 times in a month, the next day i saw parks victoria out in the region clearing up some of the mess.

Well, theres my two cents about the area, however great place to ride. Kudo's also goes out to the bloke who has marked out a enduro loop in the area by drawing arrows on the roads and tracks, i saw a group of amateur riders following it the other day.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just read the tread that's so bad...

Up here on the Central Coast of NSW about 2 years ago we had a motorbike rider killed because of a chest height trap wire, why don't people think....