Stumpjumper + Chain guide = ???

robot

Likes Dirt
Anyone know if its possible to put a chain guide on a 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp?

If you can tell me what type, size, mount required etc may fit best that would be great!

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone know if its possible to put a chain guide on a 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp?

If you can tell me what type, size, mount required etc may fit best that would be great!
I'm guessing the bike doesn't have tabs around the BB for installing a chain guide?

Doesn't matter, there are still some guides that mount to the BB.

Don't like any of those ones?

Doesn't matter, use a BB adaptor!

You need to specify if you are running a single ring, size etc

robot

Likes Dirt
I have an e13 guide single ring 38t which i was thinking of using. Im thinking of buying this stumpy for sale but i cant see if it would fit or not and i think ones in the shop have a different design to the 09 model...I dont have much to use...surely someone has tried to put one on?

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
If that doesn't work out there are other options to run a single front. The widgit is a great bit of kit that doesn't require mounting tabs etc, simple and I have yet to drop a chain after about 8 months of use.

robot

Likes Dirt
If that doesn't work out there are other options to run a single front. The widgit is a great bit of kit that doesn't require mounting tabs etc, simple and I have yet to drop a chain after about 8 months of use.
sounds interesting, where can i find out some info on this Widget device? Im thinking of doing some aggressive riding though, do you reckon itlll hold up?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plus one for the Widget. I ran one on my Stumpy and will be running it on my Blur now also.

floody

Wheel size expert
Options...For proper chainguides, not those widgit things:

Some common, proven single Chainring options-
-E13 XCX direct mount*
-E13 XCX BB mount*
-E13 LG1+ with BB mount adaptor
-MRP 1X* BB or direct mount
-MRP G2 BB mount
-MRP G2 SL BB mount
-MRP Lopes BB mount (note; has no bashguard/slider)
-Straitline silent guide with third party BB adaptor
(*XCX and 1X are a top guide box only)

Dual Chainring options
-E13 DRS
-MRP 2X

....aaaand just about anything with a BB mount backplate or adaptor.

taquar

Likes Dirt
Lol @ the Widgit hate, get over it...

I also have one, albeit only a 28T, but will be going up to a 32 soon. It does it's job damn well. Mine has taken it's fair share of hits and so on, without a problem at all. More info can be found here, as well as a number of testimonials from riders:

http://www.widgit.com.au/index.html

Good luck!

floody

Wheel size expert
LOL at the Widgit propaganda.

Look, Widgit is undoubtedly quiet and slightly lighter than a full guide (although not lighter than a top box-type guide). That is where the benefits end.
You're stuck with one ratio, and changing it will cost $110+, the chain retention is good but not amazing, you can't have any type of bashguard etc. One solid hit on it and and you're down $140 (where you might just replace the ring in many other situations, or running say a G2 or LG1+, you'd just slide over the obstacle and continue).

I'd rather use a full chainguide with a slider/bashguard and 100% chain retention, possibility to finetune ratios etc.

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
sounds interesting, where can i find out some info on this Widget device? Im thinking of doing some aggressive riding though, do you reckon itlll hold up?

Aggressive as in trail/AM sort of stuff? Typically what the Stumpy is marketed at? In my opinion, it will hold up fine! I belt mine around a bit on rocks and logs with the type of riding I do (trail/AM) and lack of skill on my behalf, I have had to straighten out the outer alloy guard with pliers occasionally but after 8 months of trail/AM type of riding I haven't dropped a chain, the outer alloy plates guides are in good nick (these can be replaced for around $40), the ring itself is in great condition. For it's intended use it's a great bit of kit. If you intended on doing a bit more than light DH then consider a chain device with a bash guard.

Two of my mates now ride with them as well.

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LOL at the Widgit propaganda.

Look, Widgit is undoubtedly quiet and slightly lighter than a full guide (although not lighter than a top box-type guide). That is where the benefits end.
You're stuck with one ratio, and changing it will cost $110+, the chain retention is good but not amazing, you can't have any type of bashguard etc. One solid hit on it and and you're down $140 (where you might just replace the ring in many other situations, or running say a G2 or LG1+, you'd just slide over the obstacle and continue).

I'd rather use a full chainguide with a slider/bashguard and 100% chain retention, possibility to finetune ratios etc.
I run my Widgits with these -

31952.jpg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31952

taquar

Likes Dirt
Yeah, ok...

Or just buy this plus this for the same dollars, never, ever drop a chain again.
Oh! Sure! But wait, I dont have iscg tabs, oh what a fucking shame, guess ill have to buy something else then. Look! Theres a product made by an australian company, it may be a bit more expensive, but I get to support the local market, and all it does is attach to the cranks instead of the bb that requires me to remove my cranks, or iscg tabs that dont exist on my bike. Yay!

Fuck me theres one way of being ignorant, and you are doing it. You seem to think that if you cant use it for dh, then why bother. Thats not who its been marketed at, and nobody who has used it seems to feel the need for anything else. For what it is designed for, it does exceedingly well. It can handle a fair bit of abuse, and in 8 months, I have never dropped a chain. Get over yourself, just because it doesnt have e thirteen on the side, doesnt make it a shit product. And for the record, you can change both the bash plates, and the ring itself if you want, clearly you havent read the website at all. As the user posted above, you CAN run a bash plate.

OP, get whatever you reckon is right, be it an e thirteen guide, or a widgit, or whatever else, as long as it works.

Last edited:

stabbsy

Likes Dirt
ISCG 05 kit includes ISCG adapter plate for use on frames with NO ISCG tabs
- says this on crc website

I think what floody is trying to say that while the widgit isn't a great product, it falls seems like a product designed to solve a problem which has already been solved. Its great that its Australian, but surely you can see the irony in running a bash guard to save your widgit, which has a bash guard in the design. A traditional guide allows you to change rings whenever you want and has zero chance of loosing a chain, where a widgit works 99.9% of the time and to change the rings you have pretty much bought a new one, as to go larger you need larger guides etc. Sure it is easy install unless you want to run a bashguard, in which case it is just as hard as an LG-1.

I can see the merits of the design and if it works for you go for it, but the main issue is when you can buy a renthal ring for $52 and the widgit costs $140 for the same thing with guides on either side it doesn't really make financial sense to go with a widgit, as if you want a couple of chainrings for different ratios you end up getting a larger and larger price difference between the widgit and a traditional setup. I would also consider going for a guide which allows you to keep two rings, helping you out on climbs etc.

Now I say traditional setup because if your not loving the e-thirteen you could have
Gamut double setup- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50908
Gamut single -http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21651
Blackspire double- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30429
MRP double- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49313

Ivan

Eats Squid
- says this on crc website

I think what floody is trying to say that while the widgit isn't a great product, it falls seems like a product designed to solve a problem which has already been solved.
The widgit is available in 28t and 30t, both aligned at the centre chainring. Are you aware of any other system that offers this?

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How often do you scrape? And do you scrape hard? To be honest I barely ever scrape, So I'm running a Top-guide only guide, And can't fault it. If I don't hop over the object (Ie I'm going fast), Then chances are I will slow right down to avoid death by crashing, In which case you wont really cause that much damage other then grinding the chain a bit.

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Oh! Sure! But wait, I dont have iscg tabs, oh what a fucking shame, guess ill have to buy something else then.
Ah, ISCG05 E13 guides come with BB Mount adaptors (which work quite satisfactorily). The MRP equivalents are available with BB mount backplates. Its an example, mostly to illustrate that a full guide and chainring cost about the same as a Widgit plus a bash/slider.

Look! Theres a product made by an australian company, it may be a bit more expensive, but I get to support the local market, and all it does is attach to the cranks instead of the bb that requires me to remove my cranks, or iscg tabs that dont exist on my bike. Yay!
I buy parts to make my bike work, not keep people in work.

Fuck me theres one way of being ignorant, and you are doing it. You seem to think that if you cant use it for dh, then why bother.
Er, no, at no point was that my contention. In my experience a full box/roller guide can be set up to be almost unnoticeable, extremely reliable and providing a modicum of security for terrain strikes. Which, might I add, are a frequent occurrence at speed on a Stumpy in big terrain (from experience).

It can handle a fair bit of abuse, and in 8 months, I have never dropped a chain.
I haven't dropped a chain with a proper chainguide since some time in the 90s, and in the 5 years I've been committed to the E13 product, I have never had a failure or reliability issue.

Get over yourself, just because it doesnt have e thirteen on the side, doesnt make it a shit product.
Oh, absolutely true, MRP, Straitline, Gamut and others also produce excellent chainguides that provide faultless retention and wide cross-compatibility at minimal weight penalty and negligible cost difference to the Widgit.

And for the record, you can change both the bash plates, and the ring itself if you want, clearly you havent read the website at all.
I acknowledged this earlier in the thread where I quoted verbatim the prices for the replacement parts you are referring to.

As the user posted above, you CAN run a bash plate.
You certainly can, and that user's post is what I was referring to with the CRC links; certainly the point being at the same cost and weight, if you needed any terrain protection you'd still be infinitely better off with a full guide assembly.

I take the point the Widgit is a light and relatively simple solution for very light terrain use.

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Different strokes for different folks people. Lets chill, we're all mountain bikers, who cares what guides we run?