Sub 2kg 26" 100mm Frames...

djphill

Likes Bikes
geez, sub 8 fully!!! that is insane (and i mean that in a good way)
care to share some more specs ?
FRAME: Ninety-Six Carbon BB30 Large, sanded back and clear coated
FORK: 2011 DT Swiss XRC100 Race (1130grams)
SHOCK: DT Swiss XR Carbon
FRONT DERAILLEUR: Tuned Dura Ace Braze On with BK carbon clamp
REAR DERAILLEUR: Sram XX with Extralite Extrbolt jockey wheels and Carbon ti bolts
SHIFTERS: Sram XX
BRAKES: Formula R1 matt black, Carbon levers, cool stop pads, matchmaker clamps and custom Eliflap 140mm carbon adaptor
ROTORS: Scrub 160/140
CHAIN: KMC 10SL
CRANKS: Cannondale Hollowgram SL BB30
CHAINRINGS: Carbon Ti 38/26
FRONT WHEEL: Edge (enve) Composite Tubular Rim, Tune Princess Hub, DT Aerolite Spokes
REAR WHEEL: Edge (enve) Composite Tubular Rim, Tune Prince hub, DT Aerolite spokes
CASSETTE: Sram XX 11-36
TYRES: TUFO XC2 Plus
HANDLEBAR: Schmolke SL oversized
BAR ENDS: KCNC
STEM: Extralite Ultra OC, Extralite Extrabolt spacers
HEADSET: Extralite Scal head
SADDLE: SLR kit Carbon
SEATPOST: MCKF
SEATPOST CLAMP: Omni Racer
PEDALS: Crank Brothers EggBeater Ti Tuned (ebay ti spindles)
GRIPS: OZ Riders
BOTTLE CAGE: Bontrager XXX
SKEWERS: TUNE DC 16/17
CABLES: Power Cordz
ALLIGATOR MINI I-link Cable Houing

Complete wheelset weight is 1060grams (rims,hubs,spokes)
the front wheel with tyre, disc rotor, quick release is 1064grams
the rear wheel with tyre, disc rotor, quick release, cassette is 1341grams

yes i ride and yes i race it

Big JD

Wheel size expert
very impressive build - you must have made friends with Eighty-One Spices (they would love you).

At 100kgs and 6.5 I can only imagine a true weight wennie build like this - well done

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
very impressive build - you must have made friends with Eighty-One Spices (they would love you).

At 100kgs and 6.5 I can only imagine a true weight wennie build like this - well done
Not just you John. I'm relatively light at 75kg but I enjoy riding my dually much better at 9.8kg than I do with a build where it's 9 on the nose. That Merida is nice though...

solo

Likes Dirt
Another vote for the Santa Cruz XC Carbon
After i bought my 2012 frame in late March i would not ride any other bike
Its by far the best working suspension system i have ever ridden
no feedback at all under pedalling forces yet so wonderfully plush when the trail gets rough
and lightweight mine is 10.5kgs if you wanted to and had the money sub 9kg easy

Electric Panda

Likes Bikes
worth having a look at the BMC... the suspension design is the lastest - though probably the older SantaCruz quad link are as good - which is probably as good as other 4 bar linkage systems...
BMC is a very race focused company... the company is run by an ex racer, they have pro teams in most disciplines
.. the frame is not the lightest and it is more expensive than most - but the flip side the frame is not a noodle and will last thru a few crashes - wouldn't be confident to say the same about the cheap lighter made in china frames with lower specced modular carbon, lower specced QC and less advanced production methods ...

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
worth having a look at the BMC... the suspension design is the lastest - though probably the older SantaCruz quad link are as good - which is probably as good as other 4 bar linkage systems...
BMC is a very race focused company... the company is run by an ex racer, they have pro teams in most disciplines
.. the frame is not the lightest and it is more expensive than most - but the flip side the frame is not a noodle and will last thru a few crashes - wouldn't be confident to say the same about the cheap lighter made in china frames with lower specced modular carbon, lower specced QC and less advanced production methods ...

I love BMCs too (I ride a Team Machine SLR01) but for clarification:

1. I'm pretty sure that Andy Rihs (owner) has not raced in the past.
2. Most of their frames are made in Taiwan, just like everyone else these days. :)

There's so much more to it than weight alone. These days most good carbon duallies are light enough. I'd rate frame stiffness and suspension design as the most important factor in how well the bike will perform.

Last edited:

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@Electric Panda

Don't believe everything you read on the internet!

Crittski

Likes Dirt
My 2010 Large Blur XCc built up with American classic tubeless wheels (Maxxis Ikon tubeless) and full XTR (Trail) weighs 10.6kg with pedals, I don't have an unbuilt weight for it though sorry.

I am selling the frame and fork (Fox 120mm Fit RLC) for a Blur TRc build in the next month.

Electric Panda

Likes Bikes

:applause: @ Jathan

1. Rihs claims to have been a 'keen' racer in his youth - he didn't say in that interview he was a budding pro or anything - nor did I if that is what you are alluding too
2. Most carbon frames are made in China - Spec, Giant, Merida, Cube, Fuji among others including SC... Spec do have a factory still in Taiwan (in 2011 anyway) for their high end stuff apparently. Taiwan generally has much better manufacturing than China. BMC are built in Taiwan using better modulus carbon, better techniques, better QC than the average chinese frame.

agree stiffness and sus are important... BMC use DW link rear sus... it was designed after SC VPL by the same guy... wouldn't like to say it was any better... FYI I think the first quad link bike was the mighty Whyte... see avatar

@Seksy
don't believe everything you read on the internet

Last edited:

davidg

Squid
Scalpel Carbon. Just bought the 29r version and can attest to its lightness-ness.

That Merida is mental (considers similar build on his Scalpel 29er Carbon)

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Funnest bike by far: Santacruz XC Carbon. Rides like a much bigger bike. Awesome.

Not sure if it's been posted but the lightest dually money could buy for awhile (and still is maybe) is the Scott Spark 10/RC. It's lighter then the blur.. I've ridden both with identical build. Blur is way more fun still.

davidg

Squid
congrats on the new bike David.
we're talking 26" 100mm travel though...
Lol, i do realise that, thanks for the congrats. I probably should have been more specific. When investigating a new bike and looking into the whole 26" vs. 29" debate i was comparing frame and wheel weights.

The 2011 variant of the 26" scalpel frame came it at something like 1560g http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tech-feature-cannondale-2011-mountain-bike-launch D. Not sure how reliable that article is but cycle news are fairly reputable.

1590g according to Bike Rumour http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/06/22...el-redesigned-full-suspension-xc-race-rocket/.

Theyre super light and super stiff, just thought id throw it out there.

nimmersatt

Likes Bikes
conclusion....

IMG_1987.jpgIMG_1990.jpgIMG_1993.jpgIMG_2039.jpg
IMG_2036.jpg

Big thank you to Rod from LeSpit Cyclery for being very patient with my custom orders and getting everything in on time (and budget)...
complete build as of yesterday was 10.26 including pedals, bottle holder, speedo, light mounts and unfortunately an ultra heavy aluminium seatpost from my commuter bike as i was unaware that my ritchey superlogic was not 30.9 diameter.
so with that fixed it should be just under 10kg.
went for a quick shakedown ride yesterday and i am blown away. so nimble, such confidence on the technical climbs and sooo smooth coming back down. if only it would stop raining now...

oh, and thanks everyone for their input...
cheers