Subaru 12 hour - one leg rider question

onepeg14

Likes Bikes
Hi
First time poster long time tire kicker. I've been riding for about 12months and i also have 1 leg (above knee amputation). I love getting out on the trails and have riden a bit of lysterfield down in VIC and once out a castlemaine.

What i wanted to know was how hard the course is for the subaru 12hour? I go alright most of the time but tend to burn out and cramp up if a ride is too hilly/steep contunally without a break at the top.

cheers

rell6103

Likes Dirt
Just curious. How do you actually go about it. Do you use one leg with clip ins, or do you have some sort of modification so that you can use both. Sorry if i'm ignorant. Good work though

onepeg14

Likes Bikes
i use clip ins on both pedals, i need them on my good leg because i need to really draw/pull the leg upwards on the pedalling rotation.

issues i can face are loss of balance to the bad leg side in which case that will involve me eating dirt and pedalling uphill becuase i can't get out of the saddle i just have to grab a granny gear and spin hard with the good leg.
i get minimal drive out of the fakie.

I'll repost this where it belongs - being a noobie i thought trails = trails e.g. firetracks and bush tracks.

cheers

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
being a noobie i thought trails = trails e.g. firetracks and bush tracks.

cheers
Easy mistake to make when glancing.. It actually says TRIALS not TRAILS. Different discipline ;)

In fact, I opened this thread in wonder how anyone could do trials with one leg :p

Matt.

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
SO....

are you riding a dually??? or hardtalee??

And im sure if this guy can ride with one leg.. Trials wouldnt be that badd...
He can still try.. You never know.. maybe he can do it.

onepeg14

Likes Bikes
hardtail....
so are trials like the jumping from objects and that type of flavor...such a noobie question and i'm sure its been posted a million times so my apologises.

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Pretty much, trials, hopping up and down objects/one object to another, *trying* not to put feet down, goes much deeper than that but that gives you a general idea or sparks up a memory of having seen it.

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
you are a massive inspiration. you ride with one good leg, that is such an achievement, thanks for being part of the sport!!!

onepeg14

Likes Bikes
I',m lucky to be able to but i'm really just gettin on with life and living which is what its all about and riding is shit hot fun too. Cheers

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
yeh michael milton recently won the australian disabled track riding, not sure what event (sprint or endurance or whatever) but he broke the world record so he is a very talented man, he signed a poster for my sister lol

Good on you. It is great to hear that someone in a situation such as yours has the determination to still ride a mountain bike.

Ride forever

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
In an MTB Mag, I once saw a photo of a one-armed Aussie rider (on a Kona I think) launching a 30 foot gap jump. He'd had some brake/shifter mods done but didn't use a prosthetic, just the "one" arm.

I couldn't imagine how he didn't wash out on every landing:eek:

So a one legged trials rider? You'd have to think it would be totally possible.

Hope your riding days are long lived Peg.

Shorerider.