Subaru Forester forums?

scblack

Leucocholic
Hi guys, looking at a mates 2004 Subaru Forester and wondered are there any decent Forester forums in Australia. The only one I've come across is Ozfoz.com which is pretty empty it seems.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
OzFoz is alive and kicking though it's getting to that point where most things have already been covered.

It is a relatively small community though.

OzFoz
Subaruforester.org
Subyclub
Offroadsubarus.com

There is a lot of crossover with the Impreza so you'll find answers to many topics throughout Impreza/WRX forums also.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is gtrydaz still up?
Ausubaru?
MRT forums?

As has been said, most things have been done to death already

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I had a buyer test driving my forrester today. Was totally happy with it, last 20meters before home a wheel-bearing shit itself. Talk about bad luck. How hard are they to change? I'm a bit time poor right now so my just get a mechanic to do it and take it on the chin. Buyer is still keen and there's a couple others I had to tell about wheel bearing, such bad luck/timing. Strange cause it'd not been driven for a couple of months, seemed to have needed a wheel alignment, so I said to the guy when he arrived, we better drive it to servo to pump tyres up, as it's pulling, he said he didn't notice it.
Are there any sure fire ways to tell it's a wheel bearing without jacking it up?
Full lock made no difference to noise, so guessing/hoping it's not a CV.
Sorry for the derail scblack.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Cv will click on lock moving forward or back. Wheels bearings usually make noise before collapsing totally.
Best way to tell ifs it's a wheel bearing is Jack up the offending wheel (takes 2mins) and feel for play.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
I had a buyer test driving my forrester today. Was totally happy with it, last 20meters before home a wheel-bearing shit itself. Talk about bad luck. How hard are they to change? I'm a bit time poor right now so my just get a mechanic to do it and take it on the chin. Buyer is still keen and there's a couple others I had to tell about wheel bearing, such bad luck/timing. Strange cause it'd not been driven for a couple of months, seemed to have needed a wheel alignment, so I said to the guy when he arrived, we better drive it to servo to pump tyres up, as it's pulling, he said he didn't notice it.
Are there any sure fire ways to tell it's a wheel bearing without jacking it up?
Full lock made no difference to noise, so guessing/hoping it's not a CV.
Sorry for the derail scblack.
I had the rear left wheel bearing done on my forester last week. your looking at between 350-400 parts and labour for a shop to do it :-(. I did some research and apparently its a bit of a crap job to do yourself unless your confident! Good luck!

No Skid Marks

I had the rear left wheel bearing done on my forester last week. your looking at between 350-400 parts and labour for a shop to do it :-(. I did some research and apparently its a bit of a crap job to do yourself unless your confident! Good luck!
Awww shiat.
Just had valves, timing belt, tensioner, radiator, all fluids replaced. Just trying to sell it, can't believe I'll only get $4500ish for it, such a rad little car(GT).

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Mines going in for one next week, quoted $380. Just lent it to my brother for a work trip and got it back with a rooted cv, busted sway bar mount and the rear wheel bearing and four new tires ($700+) 3000k closer to needing to be fixed (got $200 from the company for lending the car, they saved a few hundred not having to rent a car and got it back with fuck all petrol and all those new problems, end rant.).

I'm driving an 01 and other than ^^^ all that it never misses a beat and takes a beating pretty well. If it's an 04 the 2.5 should be good, the NA 2.0 can be a bit gutless with passengers and bikes.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
. If it's an 04 the 2.5 should be good, the NA 2.0 can be a bit gutless with passengers and bikes.
Its a 2.5 I am going to get the CV joints and head gaskets checked out. Plus general check-over. Maybe now wheel bearings too....

Just spoke to my mechanic, and he reckons pre-purchase just needs to check over head gaskets (largely). CV boots and wheel bearings are relatively minor things, but if the timing belts have been skimped on without a full service and kit, or there is leaking from the back corner its not worth touching.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

I think GTs now get the P-plate approval nod so you should get appeal from a slightly wider audience.
Ahhh sweet. thought that was the main market killer. Is a fast little car for a newb, but handling makes up for it I guess as far as safety goes.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probs with our 2005xt over 200,000km have been a rear wheel bearing replaced, radiator hairline crack and replaced, water pump leak and replaced, turbo oil line leak and replaced, self levelling rear suspension struts failed, replaced with king springs and kyb struts in rear, kyb with existing springs in front. We've had trouble with brake shudder as well, after getting discs machined countless times, I found out to fix it all you generally need to do is super heat the brakes to burn off pad burnish deposits (hard braking from 80-100kmh to 10kmh 5-7 times until they are really smoking). works a treat.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a buyer test driving my forrester today. Was totally happy with it, last 20meters before home a wheel-bearing shit itself. .
recently traded a liberty, took it to my regular mechanic to get all the stamps in the service book. On the way home (ie last time I would drive it before the trade in) check engine light comes on. Never seen it in 8 years so brilliant timing. Went back to mechanic who couldn't find anything and reset the warnings.
did end up getting rid of an 01 GT forrester due to piston slap, would have cost more than it was worth to sort out. pity as I really liked that car.