Suggest me a chainguide!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,
after snapping the Bash guard after a harsh bottom out today, i guess its time for a new one!
Now i am harsh on my chain guides, so i need something fairly strong and durable, but ideally not to heavy.
Had a Gamut guide that came stock on my demo, But id like something with a taco rather than the bash guard, had an MRP on my old bike, but i hear all the new MRP/X0 guides crack at the bottom roller easily, is this true?
Oh and sub $200 ideally. not afraid of spending money if its a good part, but id like to keep it on the cheaper side.

thanks in advance guys!

Three

Likes Bikes
I prefer my new MRP G3 over my old Ethirteen. The E13 sliders crack so easy.

That's the only experience I have sorry.

Wombatone

Likes Dirt
Got a Blackspire and it is quite solid.Got no moving parts and runs very quiet.The bashguard is good and can be replaced if need be.
Good news is that for 200 bucks you can probably get two if you shop arround.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
If you are hard on guides then opting for a lighter guide, a la a "taco" equipped anything is going to be a compromise you will likely regret. For those that are hard on equipment, whether its because you are just hitting things harder and faster or because you enjoying plowing or hucking to flat then I think you would be crazy to over look a full bashy guide.

We do cSixx guides and for me I tend to recommend smooth riders opt for our 150gm guide (integrated taco version). where the 'm' designates medium protection and Elite level riders or those hard on equipment to opt for the full carbon bashy version 175gh (H = heavy duty protection).

Sorry a bit above your budget.

Rear of the 150gm (150g without BB adapter) $220

175gh (175g without BB adapter) $259.95

We've had a few people on both guides now over the last 2 seasons so I'll leave it to them to vouch for its performance, but if you're hard on equipment the 175gh is where its at.

Special order through your fav LBS.

T-Rex

Template denier
Light, strong, cheap..... pick any two

It's an old cliche ...

But really, the weight difference between a full bash ring style like an E13 SRS, and a taco style LG1+ is maybe a couple of 100 g's. The SRS is enormously strong, I once landed bash guard first on a rock with one, and just kept going. T-Rex Junior has folded a couple of LG1s, along with the chain ring, by wrapping the bike around a tree, without him on it ie a lot less force is required to destroy a taco style guard.

So decide if you want to trade off weight or strength, and whether you want to carry a few spares with you.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are hard on guides then opting for a lighter guide, a la a "taco" equipped anything is going to be a compromise you will likely regret. For those that are hard on equipment, whether its because you are just hitting things harder and faster or because you enjoying plowing or hucking to flat then I think you would be crazy to over look a full bashy guide.

We do cSixx guides and for me I tend to recommend smooth riders opt for our 150gm guide (integrated taco version). where the 'm' designates medium protection and Elite level riders or those hard on equipment to opt for the full carbon bashy version 175gh (H = heavy duty protection).

Sorry a bit above your budget.
spoke to a few people about this, then i have a mate who offered me one for a good price.
gone for the taco one as thats what he has, so lets try it out for strength! might play with suspension and make me sit a little higher off the ground to make it easier.
I was also told that the main plate was replaceable so if i do destroy the taco. is this true Nerf?

Last edited:
My old bike had e thirteen full bash ring guide and roller setup etc. I had cased it and gouged it on rocks but it just merely scuffed and scratched. Have mrp g3 mini on the new bike 2 rides from new it has a crack from rear roller bolt to top, and not a single impact. Certainly not nearly as durable.