Sun ringle single track 26” tubeless

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
Just an update on the tubeless setup, I have had my single track rims and Maxxis tyres set up with the split tubes for I guess close to 5 weeks and haven’t dropped and pressure at all. I did the boys bike same tyres and mtx33 rims and same thing, no loss in pressure.

I managed to find some proper Schrader valves and will set them up this weekend with just the rim tape. As much as I’d like to use proper rim tape, I’m going to use gorilla tape. I’m really keen to get it to work and have watched countless YouTube vids on it all, but no one has videoed set up on older rims.

I currently have 25psi in the boys wheels and 30ish in mine,

he has told me his bike seems a little easier to pedal up from a stand still since the conversion, so if all goes well I will be able to ditch the split tubes from his wheels too.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
One thing the ghetto rubber strip does which tape doesn't do so well at, is account for slightly less than ideal fit between tyres and pre-tubeless rims.
If the 20" tubes and valves are working for you, I'd stick with it rather than mucking around with tape and discovering its more frustrating than expected. If the 20" tube eventually fails you just fit another one.
Having said that, one advantage of tape over the ghetto tube solution is that you don't need to find somewhere to store a sticky sealant covered rim strip if you're stuck beside a trail and need to fit a tube.

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
Another update..... the split tube, sealant and the mtx33 rims have been flawless since the install.
I have had joes tubeless Schrader valves in my single track rims with gorilla tape and sealant and have not dropped any pressure in over a week. The tyres (Maxxis dhr) seated no problems and I was able to inflate with a track pump.

I did make sure the rims were clean as, and also the tyres especially where the bead connects.
I think it has been well worth the effort and will eventually get the tubeless valves for the mtx33’s too.