sunday bushings

norco4l

Likes Dirt
my bottem bush is gone and needs replacing but i can not get my shock out:( i have got the top bolt out just can not get the bottem one out
do you undo both allen key head and it comes out or is there another way
help please

jgdj18

Likes Dirt
You may have the same problem as me, and its not that uncommon.

The bottom bolt has bushings which sit over it. As I understand it, when the Sunday's were new, they often didn't come with enough lube between the bushing and the bolt, and what has happened to many people is that the bushing has fused to the bolt. This makes it very difficult to get out of the frame.

I think its covered somewhere in this thread

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168138

but good luck finding it as its over 100 pages long.

I have had my local bike shop remove the bolt before, and this time I'm getting it replaced.

Hope thsi helps.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
must get a longer m6 bolt into the end of the shock pin and tap it out. often a slight press fit, even if they have been put together with grease.

make sure your tapping the right way. one side you can see the whole shock pin (with the split down the middle) and on the other side you can only see the bearing cap and behind it the thread of the pin. insert longer bolt and tap this side.

may need to remove cranks.

adman

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I had the same problem - the pivot is very poorly greased when stock, and should have been taken out when bought and regreased - mine sure as hell wasn't!

Refer to this diagram for my explanation

So you are trying to take out the big fat pivot at the bottom of your shock. Firstly, try taking things out in this order, just incase it is not a problem with the bike.

Remove any bashguards you might need to in order to give part 17 clearence to come out.

Next, undo the two smaller bolts inside those (part 6). Now, on mine, the NON-drive side has siezed up, but as long as you can remove one of them that's fine. So I remove my drive side bolt.

Then, using the correct sized bolt wrench (be careful if using a shifter/spanner, they can round the bolt quite easily) undo the side that you have removed the small bolt from. It should come out quite easily.

Next, undo the other side with the wrench and the whole pivot should come out. Be aware that both the shock and the DW link use the same pivot, so the DW link may slide backwards out of the bike. Just be aware of your bike as you remove it - have someone hold the saddle at the normal height so that it slides out nice and cleanly.
Now, be careful when taking those small inside bolts out, if they don't come easily, don't push them hard. If you round them, you are fucked. You will have to drill them out and buy new ones. So if they don't budge, there could be a number of reasons why.

1) (mine) Was that the locktite had boned very strongly and was refusing to budge. Get an allen key or a metal shaft that fits inside parts 17/18 on the diagram and sharply tap it with a hammer. This should help to break the bond of the locktite. Another method which I was advised to do was to get a small blow torch (sounds bad yes!) and quickly blast the small bolt in order to easy the locktite. If you have to do this, obviously leave gaps between blasts so as not to melt the bolt! I hold no claim to how well this works - my bike shop said heat was a good way to break locktite.

2) Drill. This is tricky. You need to get a drill bit just about the size of the thread of the small bolt. Like so.
Just for your infomation, this bolt stops the big shaft parts from coming out, the diagram shows this. So if you just drill off the head, you will be able to undo parts 17/18 and then remove the bolt with other tools later on.

Please, as a last resort use this method. If you must use it, contact Ben Oz (username is Ben Oz) as he used it to get the pivot out of his sunday. Again, don't bug him - and anything he does is purely for your benefit, it's not his job to sort your sunday.

Hope I have been of help.

Adam.