Sunday & Rear Shock?

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,

Just putting around on my Sunday today and I noticed that there is a strange clunk almost coming from the rear suspension.

I am running a DHX 3.0 which to my knowledge came with the frame. I certainly have not ridden it that hard, but I am maybe thinking the shock might be on it's final leg?

I have checked all the links and have made sure they are tight, and yet the clunk still seems to be there.

That said the 'Clunk' that i have mentioned only does it at the start of compression, and it is fine for the rest of it's travel. It just seems a little strange and was wondering whether anyone could lend a hand.

Cheers.

Big_Al

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its a sunday.. they are known to have a little bit of 'play' in the rear linkage. Sometimes you can work it out but generally you just put up with it.. i dunno what to do about it other than take it to your LBS.

sunday clunk

Mate have you stripped it down and had a look at your bearings/ when were they last done. My 08 sunday started to make some noises after a few wet races. A simple change of the bearings in the linkage and pivot points solved my problem.

wheel2wheel

Likes Dirt
Hey mate had a similar clunk on a DHX 3 on a Glory, thought it was the DU bushes, changed these and all the mounting hardware, didnt make any difference, turned out to be the piston had come loose on the shaft inside the shock.
You will need to take the shock off the bike, back the spring off, even might have to let some air out, then try compressing it, if you still feel the clunk thats most likely the problem.
If thats the problem send it off to thses guys http://www.tekinsuspension.com.au/

S.

ex offender
Check the air pressure in the shock - sounds like something's not right in there.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check the air pressure in the shock - sounds like something's not right in there.
I'll back this up, and say from some twist of events your shim bolt on the piston may be loose, allowing the head of the piston to move around, giving you a clunk.

If this is the case; Don't ride it! Service it before you even think of doing some runs.

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its a sunday.. they are known to have a little bit of 'play' in the rear linkage.
Well mines a Sunday... And I have no play, it's a tight as a Nun's nastys. So where do you get "they are known to have a little bit of 'play' "?

My brother had a Giant and they DU booshings went all the time, but I don't think that will be the problem unless yours is an older model.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah there is no play in the links at all, that is all perfectly fine. I am pretty definite that it is the shock that is the problem.

That said it could be the bushings.

T-Rex

Template denier
It's pretty easy to tell if it's the bushings or the shock. Grab the top pivot and the top of the shock between your thumb and forefinger with one hand, then grap the seat post with the other hand and gently lift the bike up and down about 1cm. If you can feel movement between the pivot and the shock eye, your DU bush is worn or (and this is the case on my Sunday right now) the steel sleeve that the top mounting bolt goes ghrough is ovalised, and you need to replace the sleeve. The top pivots wear out 2 - 3 times the rate of the bottom pivots on this suspension design in my experience.

That said, the pivots would need to be completely trashed to generate a clunking noise. To me it sounds like you have no damping in the first part of the shock stroke, for whatever reason, and the clunk is the shock topping out. TBSM services DHXs at a reasonable price, you can just post it to them and they post it back.