Sunglasses for riding

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Did a search but all the related threads are getting a bit old.

What are people wearing when they're riding these days?

I noticed that a lot of companies are plugging photochromatic lens these days. Just wondering how well these work. Where I ride its has thick forested areas and some out in the open. Thinking these could be quite good if they work well; or if the multiple lens version is still the better option?

Been looking at Tifosi Dolomite 2.0 specifically.

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
photo chromatic are awesome . polarized as well. I chose the rudy project genetyk because they have both. It would be good if the lens were were a bit larger to provide more crosswind protection when on the roadie though.

Capone

Likes Dirt
photo chromatic are awesome . polarized as well. I chose the rudy project genetyk because they have both. It would be good if the lens were were a bit larger to provide more crosswind protection when on the roadie though.
Agreed i have Oakley Racing jackets and its amazing using photochromatic lenses, no light conditions matter, you just put them on and forget.

the only issue is the fact the lens are not cheap

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agreed i have Oakley Racing jackets and its amazing using photochromatic lenses, no light conditions matter, you just put them on and forget.

the only issue is the fact the lens are not cheap
I'll second that.
I have 2 pairs of these, albeit not with photochromic lenses, but the most comfortable riding glasses i've used. Easy to switch between lenses too.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
I use oakley jaw bones. Picked them up from the oakley outlet in Melbourne for $100 because they are the old model, but seriously do I care?

Only issue with photo lenses is they are not very dark in very bright sunlight. Thus why I use normal arnette sunglasses during very bright days. But they are perfect for overcast days or morning/evening rides.

Capone

Likes Dirt
I use oakley jaw bones. Picked them up from the oakley outlet in Melbourne for $100 because they are the old model, but seriously do I care?

Only issue with photo lenses is they are not very dark in very bright sunlight. Thus why I use normal arnette sunglasses during very bright days. But they are perfect for overcast days or morning/evening rides.
Id keep your jawbones, they might become a collectable in years to come. Oakley changed the name of them to Racing Jacket.

Eduardo80

Likes Bikes
I have the Racing Jacket with prescription and transition lenses. They work perfect in all conditons, the only problem is the price, but if u have private insurance is not that bad.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Capone

Likes Dirt
I have the Racing Jacket with prescription and transition lenses. They work perfect in all conditons, the only problem is the price, but if u have private insurance is not that bad.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
If you do get them make sure you go custom so you dont look the same as everyone else ;-)

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys. Yup the Oakleys look great. The Split Jackets in particular take my fancy; however, the are simply out of my price range.

So I'm gonna get a set of Tifosi Dolomite 2.0 Fototec's in Backcountry Orange. And I'll buy some clear lenses for night riding - no biggie, they only cost $15 USD.

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Rudy project rydons with photo chromatic lens here.
Only problems I find with photo chromatics is late arvo, low angle bright sun, winding in & out of shaded areas.
But no glasses are perfect then.

Also make sure whatever you get is shatter-proof.

Came down directly on my nose avoiding a car recently. Bridge of nose needed stitches, glasses not scratched.
Suspect glasses spread force over face, didn't break my nose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
Can you wear photochromatics at night or do you swap em out for clears?
I think a lot aren't suitable as they are too dark to wear at night. I have the Tifosi Pave Light Night and they go almost clear. I find them good riding around sunset you just wear them and forget. Looking online at the specification they vary from 75% to 25% light transmission which I think is one of the larger ranges for photochromatic glasses, a lot of them have a much smaller range of variation ie stay darker.

Sappa

Likes Dirt
In low light I use a pair of Bunning's safety glasses. Not great on breathing maybe a few small drill holes might fix that.
I will also point out I have issues with most sunglasses trapping sweat.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good topic. I want to get some photochromatic ones. As much as I love Oakley I can't afford ones for MTBing seeing as they get scratched by branches, chucked in my bag etc.

mr626

Likes Bikes
Some may laugh at this...but I use the impact protection sunglasses that Bunnings sell for tradesmen.

Works for me :)

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We have bolle prism tinted and clear safety at work, free issue.
I grab a pair of each each week and put them on the shelf for riding.. They look great and are super comfy