Sunglasses

will2

Likes Dirt
Oakley Radarlock off Aliexpress.com

$20 good quality last for ages and come with a heap of lenses.
They take some time to arrive so buy a few sets when you are there.
I have had mine for a good two years now.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The might be Fauoakleys for that much. Not a bad thing and I grabbed a few in the KL markets where there are plenty.
Just worry how bad they snap if you face surf. I've had snapped glasses dig into myself once with cheap glasses but nfi if brand name expensive would make that much difference.
I prefer framed glasses from that and no bladey open edges.

----------
Sent with added typos from a tiny mobile keyboard and spellchecker that makes a mess of everything.

will2

Likes Dirt
The might be Fauoakleys for that much. Not a bad thing and I grabbed a few in the KL markets where there are plenty.
Just worry how bad they snap if you face surf. I've had snapped glasses dig into myself once with cheap glasses but nfi if brand name expensive would make that much difference.
I prefer framed glasses from that and no bladey open edges.

----------
Sent with added typos from a tiny mobile keyboard and spellchecker that makes a mess of everything.
They are virtually impossible to snap. When I moved to a new set because the old ones were all beaten up i tried to bend them a snap them at the nose and then bent the whole way. Extremely flexible.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Oakley jawbreaker photochomic
+1.

Tho i mostly use them with the Prizm Trail lens during the day, freaking amasing lenses.

Im blind in 1 eye so decent protection/ coverage is crucial to me, i still have my original M frames from the 90's tho they have been workshop glasses for years now i was happy to go straight back to Oakley for a 'modern' version.

Travis.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
They are virtually impossible to snap. When I moved to a new set because the old ones were all beaten up i tried to bend them a snap them at the nose and then bent the whole way. Extremely flexible.
You were luckier than me. I had a pair bust at the hinge before I made it home, oh well :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I do 12hr shifts, so out of the house at 5am and home nearly 8pm, even in summer I'm getting caught in the dark at one end of the day. Those Vario lenses would be right on the money for my commutes.

Do you recommend them ? I will be using my usual for social/training rides, but the dawn/dusk commutes, these sound the ticket. Tax claimable too ;)

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Hey Tek how do you find the Jawbreakers?
My evil Eyes are looking a little worse for wear and I am looking at getting those.
The photochromatic lens imo isnt dark enough when in the sun, and at night it isnt as 'clear' as a clear lens. I dont think id by photocbromatic again, as i mentioned about the Prizm lenses are amazing. Prizm to suit the activity for the day (mtb = prizm trail) and a plain clear lens for night riding.

They feel well made, no scratches on the lenses yet despite a few run in's with trees and what not, i sweat like all hell riding yet i rarely ever have trouble with them fogging up. Very comfortable, and they stay put exceptionally well.

Travis.

teK--

Eats Squid
Hey Tek how do you find the Jawbreakers?
My evil Eyes are looking a little worse for wear and I am looking at getting those.
very happy with the amount of cover they give; helps a lot when going at really high speeds such as on the road. the photochromic goes from about 30% to 80% light transmission which covers 95% of the conditions I ride in.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
A couple of years on, I'm still digging these uvex jobbies,

I actually wore them in the shower Saturday morning after my ride because I forgot I was wearing them.

The company's core business is safety glasses, and it shows, the lenses are still crystal clear after multiple trips into the scruband short flights over the bars. The photochromatic is awesome, goes from completely clear to tinted and back really quickly, shed dirt and moisture easily, don't fog, awesome field of vision and stupid light at 22.29 grams.

Best of all, as good as, if not better performance as the wank brands but cheaper than a gobbie from a 60 year old, diseased hooker.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
Curious if anyone in this thread uses prescription sunnies? I'm quite happy with my Rudy Project Rydon but the prescription lenses were stupidly expensive. Also if anyone's wondering, don't bother with prescription inserts - they're cheap but they just trap sweat.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Curious if anyone in this thread uses prescription sunnies? I'm quite happy with my Rudy Project Rydon but the prescription lenses were stupidly expensive. Also if anyone's wondering, don't bother with prescription inserts - they're cheap but they just trap sweat.
I was going to look into prescription Oakleys, but just bought the std lenses this time around. I really should have prescription lenses, i have regular glasses and prescription sunglasses for day to day use (not on the mtb).

I was told the Oakley store in the Melb CBD does prescription lenses for their range. I cannot remember the cost but i think it was around $700-800 for the Jawbreakers (inc frame).

I forgot to mention above thats proabbly part of why im a bit dissapointed with the Jawbreaker Photochromatic lens as i have some old prescription glasses that are photochromatic, at least 10years old and they go clearer and darker then the Oakleys... I cannot fathom that in 10-12 years the technology isnt leaps and bounds ahead let alone worse.

I took them back to the Oakley shop where i bought them to see if we could check them against another pair to see if they were faulty and they didnt really want to hear it and just fobbed me off with a 1800 number for Oakleys warranty dept.

Travis.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you mean the clip-in lenses that fit behind the regular lense? I've been wearing Rudy Projects (Ekynox SX and Noyz) with these for around 10 years now without any issues.

Majin

Likes Dirt
My mates got a identical pair of Evil Eyes to me and his have a insert for a perscription - its seperate from the lens itself so u can still readily change lenses i think

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
My mates got a identical pair of Evil Eyes to me and his have a insert for a perscription - its seperate from the lens itself so u can still readily change lenses i think
Do you mean the clip-in lenses that fit behind the regular lense? I've been wearing Rudy Projects (Ekynox SX and Noyz) with these for around 10 years now without any issues.
Yep they're the ones. Maybe I'm particularly sweaty? But the clip-in lenses touched the main lenses at the bottom a bit, and the sweat build-up between made them almost unusable. It was marginally better using some Muc-off hydrophobic spray. There were also a few weird reflections. I ended up paying for the inbuilt prescription lenses and am very happy now, except for the $730 cost for the lenses.

Cheers for the feedback both of you :)

nakedape

Likes Dirt
A couple of years on, I'm still digging these uvex jobbies,

I actually wore them in the shower Saturday morning after my ride because I forgot I was wearing them.

The company's core business is safety glasses, and it shows, the lenses are still crystal clear after multiple trips into the scruband short flights over the bars. The photochromatic is awesome, goes from completely clear to tinted and back really quickly, shed dirt and moisture easily, don't fog, awesome field of vision and stupid light at 22.29 grams.

Best of all, as good as, if not better performance as the wank brands but cheaper than a gobbie from a 60 year old, diseased hooker.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt
What shop's that?

Sent from two tin cans joined by string

sbm

Likes Bikes
Just picked up some new shades, safety glasses from Bunnings with uv protection, $13.50

For some reason I am a mega grinch when it comes to eyeware. I usually get the $20 cancer council ones from chemists. Been rocking the $10 Aldi ski goggles for both skiing and fullface riding too.