Super-D's near Sydney ??

Digitalis

Likes Bikes
Hey everyone

After reading a thread here asking what helmet to wear on a super i checked out what it was and so on, and i found that it looks so much fun lol, and relaly more my style of riding, so i wonderred if there were any tracks around sydney that were super D or anywhere near syd that does super d races.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys

Marty

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Same, its right up my alley i think. Really looking forward to its expansion.

Essentially a DH, XC race, small rise if any but lots of fast sections with some tight tech sections.

Basically an extended DH race.

floody

Wheel size expert
Is a lift accessed DH still a super-D though?

I'm guessing most Super-D races are more like 5-15km point to point XC races which finish up at a much lower elevation than they start.

orfeo

Likes Dirt
who cares what you call it, it looks awesome, but totally lift accessible only... well maybe shuttles

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
09 brake burner is/was sometime in february. it was in amb or enduro before xmas and they said 09 was already sold out, too...

Timbers

Likes Dirt
Super D - Super D (SD) is a blend of cross-country and downhill. Most of the race is downhill, on trails similar to the downhill segment of a cross-country race. There are also short (100-500 m) uphill sections which make the use of downhill bicycles difficult, as a result, most riders use cross-country or 'trail bikes'. Depending on the trail and race venue, the start may either be seeded (riders start in short intervals), or Le Mans mass start (riders run to their bikes, timing is started when the riders start running).

Not to be confused with Endurance DH events like Avalanche or Downieville,
almost every American national round has had a Super D for the last 4-5 years and they are becoming more and more popular, the Brakeburner is a little different in that it is effectively as many "Super D" runs as you can do in 6 hours.

Geelong club was going to run one at the You Yangs national round but bad weather forced cancelation, the second stage of the Bike Buller festival event is a 6 km Super D and is probably the best indication of the type of course you can expect to see for these events

http://www.rapidascent.com.au/images/BikeBuller/ST2map-HR.jpg

One thing is certain having seen and competed in this format of racing in NZ I can assure everyone it is going to be big!