Surface rust in seat tube of steel frame; how much is too much?

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
G'day All,

Was cleaning my On One Inbred and popped out the seat post and noticed a lot of light coloured rust staining in the seat post and inside surface of the seat tube.. It's the type of staining that you can wipe the majority off with a fag or finger but a distinct discolouration remains on the frame and post. Likely caused by water ingress following a few rides in wet conditions.

Annoyingly I didn't think to take a photo to show what I mean.

Is this type of surface rust staining ok and to be expected or if the frame likely damaged and in need of replacing?

Cheers,
Mark

Ivan

Eats Squid
It sounds very minor, and probably not worth stressing over, but I would get a bottle brush on the end of a drill and clean up the inside of the frame so you can get a good look at the corrosion. Once it's cleaned up you will get a better understanding of any tube thickness loss.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Clean it out and coat it with something protective...spray paint (not really a great idea as it will flake up etc), fish oil, grease, mum juice...just too it up regularly. Last steel frame I had received regular squirts down the seat tube. External chips in the paint were covered with clear nail polish.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Touché moorey. I didn't want to get my rags dirty.

Good idea Ivan, will give that a go.

Cheers.

Elbie

Likes Bikes
Coca cola will remove the rust, but i dont know if filling your frame full of sugary goodness a great idea.

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Minor rust will be zero problem.

Spray some lube down the tubes and it'll be fine for many years to come.

On another topic. Do you like the Inbred? I was thinking about moving to an aggressive hardtail 29er.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Get a bottle brush and smear Slickoleum in there. Will both clean it / treat the oxidation / add a layer of film and fill the 'pores' of the surface / provide water proofing and a better air tight barrier, resisting further ingress from the elements.

Do the bb and head tube as well.

i just did my in-bred ... Can't get the top or down tubes unless you really want to get fancy ... But you can coat the main ingress points which was enough for me.

will2

Likes Dirt
Coca cola will remove the rust, but i dont know if filling your frame full of sugary goodness a great idea.
Yes will remove rust, but is also highly corrosive. But in Nail in a glass of coke overnight and come back to us.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
I think it's a great frame and bike NeoNasty.
I've got a 26 running SRAM X7 drivetrain, XT brakes and Rock Shox somethingorother and it's a fun responsive ride.