Suspension fork - painting lowers

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Hi all, Jon and Grip did a great job painting my frame, now my forks are out of whack colour wise (they are 140mm Fox 32 Float RL's).

I'd love to have them painted black but I'd have to take them apart + get them sprayed (powdercoating is not an option). To get that done right (as in all pro and no DIY) it would cost me about $150-200.

Or

- I could just live with it, or perhaps get the original stickers back on there?
- I could look into a fork upgrade (though I am happy with these as they are plush and damn light at 1700g). If this was the case, any suggestions? Will a 130mm RS Revelation kill my bike? (climb better?) or a Pike (20mm front so need new front wheel, coil or air?).

Any suggestions, or thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
H

>Henry

I'd try putting the stickers back on first you may find that they capture all your attention away from the colour. (Always better to try the cheapest option first ;) )

Henry,

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you could get some custom stickers made up in black vinyl so only a little of the gray show through ;)

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd go pro paint job! Seems that $200 is nothing for you! (considering all of your other marvelous works of art!) And its no patch up job either. Its the propper thing. Custom too! :)

true justin fox style!

lobstar

Likes Dirt
are there any fox fork that come in black lowers, that would fit your forks? then you could try and track some down and put them on your bike

Black Ice

Likes Dirt
For $150-$200 to get your lowers painted, You are getting ripped off!

What paint was that with? With eclipse 2 pak or something?:p

If you wanted to save a little money, prep them all yourself IE: Remove old paint, prime the metal with 800grit sand paper etc

Shouldn’t cost you anymore then $80... Too bad your not in Brisbane :D

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't forget the fork crown, too, mate. Having seen your other rides, you'll have to do this properly...!
If you want a different fork for the Reign, I think a Lyrik Solo Air would be the best choice. Though heavier than a Pike, the travel match would be better.

why isn't powdercoating an option?
EDIT: Should be. Magnesium isn't a problem to powder coat, is it?.

Last edited:

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
why isn't powdercoating an option?
We wont P/Coat lowers because it's too hard to keep the abrasive bead from getting in to the lowers and damaging the bushings... the heat will sometimes damage the bushings... and there's some pretty convincing anecdotal evidence of forks cracking VERY soon after powdercoating (the actual alloys used in fork legs is rarely known and therefore it's impossible to know how the baking temps of powdercoating will effect them). ALSO, the finish is OFTEN pretty poor because of the poor state of the raw material under the factory paint. The casting is often quite pitted and while that's not a problem when wet spraying (because of filler/primers etc) that poor surface quality of the raw material does get transferred through to the surface with powdercoating

For $150-$200 to get your lowers painted, You are getting ripped off!
You may want to read what was posted before you start accusing people of ripping others of. What Justin said was he wanted to get EVERYTHING done professionally and with no DIY. That "everything" included the cost of getting his forks pulled apart, cleaning everything up, sending them off for paint, painting both lowers AND crown, sending them back to Justin, then reassembly with oil and new seals.

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I suppose you need to decide if you want it to ride good or look good!!

This years Vanillas and 40's are black... take your pick!

Black Ice

Likes Dirt
(as in all pro and no DIY) it would cost me about $150-200.

Any suggestions, or thoughts appreciated.
You may want to read what was posted before you start accusing people of ripping others of. What Justin said was he wanted to get EVERYTHING done professionally and with no DIY. :confused:That "everything" included the cost of getting his forks pulled apart, cleaning everything up, sending them off for paint, painting both lowers AND crown, sending them back to Justin, then reassembly with oil and new seals.
Mate, Be fair but I think you should read what he is saying and what he has said in the thread. Don’t know what your relationship is with him but from MY understanding...

He has only said that is his current quote to do his forks. I was suggesting that he could save some money by doing some himself. From my understanding not once has he said that he doesn’t want to do any work himself.

Lorday

Eats Squid
are there any fox fork that come in black lowers, that would fit your forks? then you could try and track some down and put them on your bike
One problem with this, the crowns are grey also.

Second of all, get em sprayed, you'll have this beast for a long time, and being a Justin Fox custom, if you do sell it (or stash it under your house later to be resurected 20 years and become a popular farkin thread like your hardrock SS thread) it will be worth twice the price you payed for it anyway.
Seeing as this is your all mountain beater you should just fork out the cash so you can set and forget it. You can ride it hassle free (from your mind wanting to change it) until its broken (which could be a while)

Grip

Mate, Be fair but I think you should read what he is saying and what he has said in the thread. Don’t know what your relationship is with him but from MY understanding...

He has only said that is his current quote to do his forks. I was suggesting that he could save some money by doing some himself. From my understanding not once has he said that he doesn’t want to do any work himself.
You're telling me to be fair? Mate... I'm the fairest person on this God's earth, but it shits me to tears when people talk through their arses accusing others without actually reading what was originally posted and then accusing those "others" of not reading what was originally posted themselves!

Justin originally posted this...

I'd love to have them painted black but I'd have to take them apart + get them sprayed (powdercoating is not an option). To get that done right (as in all pro and no DIY) it would cost me about $150-200.
All pro and no Do It Yourself... or in other words PAYING to have everything done professionally. How much clearer does it have to be?

And for your info, I have no "relationship" with Justin whatsoever... I just happen to resent you jumping in with your statement that he's being "ripped off" when obviously you hadn't even bothered reading what he was being quoted for.

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Simple misunderstanding, no need to get the big/red/bold letters out. Justin didnt actually, precisely, mention that that price would include: ''getting his forks pulled apart, cleaning everything up, sending them off for paint, painting both lowers AND crown, sending them back to Justin, then reassembly with oil and new seals.''. The price did seem a bit steep for a "paint job" itself. Im pretty sure what Black Ice understood was that a pro job (as opposed to DIY) just involved removing the original paintjob, prepping it all up and repainting them, and just covering the rest (stanchions, seals, crown, steerer).

Again - simple misunderstanding.

Grip

Simple misunderstanding, no need to get the big/red/bold letters out. Justin didnt actually, precisely, mention that that price would include: ''getting his forks pulled apart, cleaning everything up, sending them off for paint, painting both lowers AND crown, sending them back to Justin, then reassembly with oil and new seals.''. The price did seem a bit steep for a "paint job" itself. Im pretty sure what Black Ice understood was that a pro job (as opposed to DIY) just involved removing the original paintjob, prepping it all up and repainting them, and just covering the rest (stanchions, seals, crown, steerer).

Again - simple misunderstanding.
Firstly, calling someone out as being a "rip off" when they hadn't actually read the bloody thing in the first place is not a simple misunderstanding.

Secondly, it's not my fault if black ice has no idea of what's involved in a job like that AND misunderstood what was actually pretty clear ("all pro and no DIY") AND then still chooses to label someone as a "rip off"

And thirdly the red letters were to make something really clear... nothing more :rolleyes:

Hopefully the end of the "simple misunderstanding" :rolleyes:

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ANYWAY, back to the fork suggestions.

Is it safe to paint the lowers with them still fully assembled with the rest of them? Just wondering out of curiousity, and just thought that it would save a bit of hassle than having to take everything apart.

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ANYWAY, back to the fork suggestions.

Is it safe to paint the lowers with them still fully assembled with the rest of them? Just wondering out of curiousity, and just thought that it would save a bit of hassle than having to take everything apart.
NO.... (unless of course you're happy with a shit job)!!

Gripo

Eats Squid
not pimp'n honda's here

Well you could spend hundreds of $'s to get them stripped/painted with 2pak enamel/rebuilt essentially and that's just so your bike can "look good" ......and unless it's a "trophy bike" they'll get a mark or several on them in the first few rides and your pretty matching forks will look well, less pretty.

I have used VHT paint purchased from the likes of Repco Automotive/Autobarn
etc. which is a quality paint that sticks and endures the usual abrasions.

Have painted several sets of forks that were assembled albeit with plenty of time spent masking where I didn't want the paint to go.

Pimp'n mountain bikes ain't like the import car scene......they are meant to get used and used properly...........

Oh yeah like others have said get some custom stickers made up....(your a designer aren't you)....that cover the majority of the lowers of the forks in black and the FOX logo in a contrasting gray shade.

Last edited: