Suspension gurus, your advice please.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Thanks for the awesome offer but I really think it will be a fruitless endeavour. Light comp tune will blow through with my weight and the frames leverage ratio.

I recall reading somewhere that for a monarch+ it is recommended to have a high comp tune for a 3:1 ratio frame so I'd have to think it would be pretty much the same for a regular monarch.
If it helps I'm running an RC3 debonaire on a Jamis XCT pro 130mm that is about 2.7/1. It's a 200/51 and an MM tune
It's the bomb. Fantastic small bump compliance, feels bottomless and pedal bob is good. I'm 73kg and running at about 180psi I think. I changed out from a ctd factory. Best thing I ever did

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it helps I'm running an RC3 debonaire on a Jamis XCT pro 130mm that is about 2.7/1. It's a 200/51 and an MM tune
It's the bomb. Fantastic small bump compliance, feels bottomless and pedal bob is good. I'm 73kg and running at about 180psi I think. I changed out from a ctd factory. Best thing I ever did
That is very useful and positive info. Thank you.

sukebe

Likes Dirt
I'll second trying out the Monarch (the used one for sale). I'm 92-95kg geared up and always has issues with low speed mid-stroke wallow with the stock Fox RP23 on a Giant Trance. The rear would bog down and hang on slow uphill undulations. This issue was dramatically improved with a Monarch RL. Much better mid-stroke support and made the bike much more eager to climb on moderate inclined undulating trails. Trances run 200x51, it is a 200x57 with a 6mm removable spacer.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I think shims inside aircans are a standard ploy to decrease stroke length = no probs so far .
There are plenty of threads regarding this.You are on the weighty side so will need lots of pressure in the can.
Takes no time at all once you get your wife to lean on the shock to help screw it back together !!!
The Rockshox Monarch are a good rear shock had one for years on another bike.
For me the Fox ones have gone to crap the last few years.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Takes no time at all once you get your wife to lean on the shock to help screw it back together !!!
"Hun, help me out to sink this shock, just lean on the bike while I tigh..."
"You calling me fat?!!"

Nah, I'd rather put my boneless finger in a meat grinder...

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can someone explain the tune letters on Monarchs for me.

I thought they went Light, Medium, Hard but I've seen some with S?!?!

I think I need Hard comp and rebound to suit my frame and weight but the S has thrown me.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Found one that's possibly a reasonable tune for my frame. MFS380. I take it that medium comp, firm rebound and soft threshold?!? What's the 380 represent?

As I'm not a hardcore rider, would a Monarch RT3 be suitable or should I really be looking for a Monarch Plus RC3 due to my weight?

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry for the gravedig.

Looks like I'm going to jump on a Monarch plus RC3 debonair very soon from ze Germans.

Has anyone had a crack at tuning the shim stacks themselves? I ask as I am concerned that a MM tune will be too soft for my weight/frame leverage combo. I'll be trying it all out beforehand but I think I'll need to go to a HH tune along the way. Does anyone know if I can just rearrange the shims to increase the comp and rebound damping or if I'm going to need different shims? If I need shims, anyone got ideas on where to get them?

cheers

SummitFever

Eats Squid
You will most likely need additional shims. You've got a few options:
- buy a HH piston for the shock - these piston/shim assemblies are available as spare parts. Check the RS parts manual on the SRAM website for the codes.
- moto suspension tuners may be able to help with shims: Terry at Shock Treatment or Teknik are the go to places.

Option 1 is probably the easiest (but more expensive). Once you have a HH piston you can compare it to your MM and you will have enough shims that you can configure pretty much anything in-between as well.

Option 2 is cheaper if you can get shims, but its easier to get it wrong. I have not been able to find any information for the 2016 shocks that describes the differences in shim stacks between the various tunes. SRAM used to publish this sort of stuff, but it doesn't look like they do so any more. If you can find the info somewhere, then you can just order the extra shims you need. If you can't find that info, you need to figure out your own stacks and that is often not easy.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
You will most likely need additional shims. You've got a few options:
- buy a HH piston for the shock - these piston/shim assemblies are available as spare parts. Check the RS parts manual on the SRAM website for the codes.
- moto suspension tuners may be able to help with shims: Terry at Shock Treatment or Teknik are the go to places.

Option 1 is probably the easiest (but more expensive). Once you have a HH piston you can compare it to your MM and you will have enough shims that you can configure pretty much anything in-between as well.

Option 2 is cheaper if you can get shims, but its easier to get it wrong. I have not been able to find any information for the 2016 shocks that describes the differences in shim stacks between the various tunes. SRAM used to publish this sort of stuff, but it doesn't look like they do so any more. If you can find the info somewhere, then you can just order the extra shims you need. If you can't find that info, you need to figure out your own stacks and that is often not easy.
And all of the shim restackor profiles are locked up on tuners computers, never to be shared due to too many hours invested (I'm guessing)