Suspension setup for lightweight rider

Quency

Likes Dirt
Trying to improve the suspension setup on GF's bike.
2015 Giant Trance
Forks are Rockshox Revelation Solo Air Dual postion 140/120mm
Shock is Rockshox Monarch RT3 200x51

Currently have the dilemma of either correct sag but not getting full travel, or too much sag to get full travel.
Being 55kg approx. she is well below the lowest suggested setup pressures (lowest category is <63kg).
As an example, forks currently have approx 50psi in them with the lowest guide being <110psi.

What are my options to get a setup that will work as intended; i.e. Correct sag, full travel, feels decent?
Custom tune?
New/Other suspension?
just deal with it?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A debonair can may fix the rear shock?
For the front - maybe there are tokens in there to remove - would a 2015 dual position come with tokens?

mark22

Likes Dirt
Can confirm a Debonair can makes for a better ride for light folks as I fitted one to my partners Monarch. Most guys end up putting bands in them to ramp them up, this one has none fitted and works well.
The bike has a light tune Pike with no tokens on the front which rarely looks like using most of the travel.

Quency

Likes Dirt
A debonair can may fix the rear shock?
Can confirm a Debonair can makes for a better ride for light folks as I fitted one to my partners Monarch. Most guys end up putting bands in them to ramp them up, this one has none fitted and works well.
The bike has a light tune Pike with no tokens on the front which rarely looks like using most of the travel.
For light riders, even 20kg kids, fox shocks, and RS forks, ideally dual air.
Righto. thanks for the advice. I've ordered a debonair can for the monarch. If that doesn't solve it I might have to be selfless and swap in my Fox DPS Evol.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
If that doesn't solve it I might have to be selfless and swap in my Fox DPS Evol.
Bugger that ... just fill her pack up with rocks to get her into the ideal weight range of the forks/shocks !

Have the forks been serviced recently ?

Quency

Likes Dirt
Bugger that ... just fill her pack up with rocks to get her into the ideal weight range of the forks/shocks !

Have the forks been serviced recently ?
At last, a thinking man's approach.

Forks could probably do with a service. Pretty sure she just ordered a Cycling Deal Pike with the 15% off code though. hopefully the lower operating pressures and no tokens will work ok. bike spending problems in our household.

teK--

Eats Squid
At last, a thinking man's approach.

Forks could probably do with a service. Pretty sure she just ordered a Cycling Deal Pike with the 15% off code though. hopefully the lower operating pressures and no tokens will work ok. bike spending problems in our household.
What I suggested will cost you only a bottle of oil and a couple of hours following the excellent tech manuals from RS.

Quency

Likes Dirt
What I suggested will cost you only a bottle of oil and a couple of hours following the excellent tech manuals from RS.
yep, very true. i haven't done a lot of tinkering with suspension but looking like now is my opportunity. Definitely plan on doing as you suggest.

'thinking' part was in response to the pack full of rocks to bring weight up. i got a laugh out of it.

moorey

call me Mia
Righto. thanks for the advice. I've ordered a debonair can for the monarch. If that doesn't solve it I might have to be selfless and swap in my Fox DPS Evol.
Yeah nah, you'll be right. I'm talking REALLY light riders needing the combo I suggested. I found over and over again that at really low pressured needed to get a nice feel for an 8yo kid, fox forks had no rebound, nor did RS (monarch 4.2) shocks. My son runs a monarch rct3 plus debonair on his spitfire and it works a treat at low pressure. He's about 30-35kg now.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
For light riders, even 20kg kids, fox shocks, and RS forks, ideally dual air.
Indeedy-poo. At just over 60kg I found RS rear shocks too harsh, regardless of what I did to tune them. Fox, no troubles at all. Both my own and customers' experience suggests that RS rears simply don't work if you're under 75kg. On the front less cut & dried; I can tune both pretty well, but RS dual air (has to be an older model, I don't think they did that after 2012 or thereabouts) definitely has an edge for fine tuning.